New
Find
Notify
Tools

New reloads
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello Riflemen: My name is Jim and I live in Oregon. I don't think I have posted here for a bit as I have had arm trouble and hate typing with one hand.
I have a Winchester Moder 70 30/06AI. The barrel gave up on me after 61 years. It just plain wore out. I becided to rebarrel it with a different barrel at Pac-Nor rifles. I'm having it converted to a 338-06 Ackley Imoroved. I'm not sure what the AI will do for ballistics but I know it will be kind to my brass. I believe that is generally the best feature to the Ackley Improving of a rifle. With some rifles it does increase velocity a great deal but that's just a bonus. With the AI being done I doubt I ever use my trimmer on the cartridges. That's been my experience over the past 45 years of shooting AI rifles.
What I need now is some good advice on where to start with my reloads. I need to know powder types, quantities, and results from anyone who has tried this caliber. Any information will be welcome.
Thank you and good shooting. Jim rober1400c@mindspring.com

<Dan in Wa>
posted
My Nosler manual has loads for the standard .338/06. Start there and work up. If you don't have that manual let me know and I'll post some loads.
Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
As well as Nosler; Barnes, A-square, Speer, Hornady, and the Nick Harvey manual all have 338-06 data. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Download a free interior ballistics program. I use "Loadbase" that you can find here by using the search function.

You can make a 338/06 Improved case to check it's water capacity by necking up one of your 30/06 improved cases.

Remember that you will no longer have an "improved" cartridge but a wildcat. Thus a .35 Whelan improved may be more practical.

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello: Thanks for the advice. I think there is very little difference between the 338-06 and the Ackley Improved version. I'll start with midrange loads and see what happens. Thanks again and good shooting Jim

<ol crip>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Download a free interior ballistics program. I use "Loadbase" that you can find here by using the search function.

You can make a 338/06 Improved case to check it's water capacity by necking up one of your 30/06 improved cases.

Remember that you will no longer have an "improved" cartridge but a wildcat. Thus a .35 Whelan improved may be more practical.

Don, I think the 338-06 is no longer a wildcat since Weatherby is chambering for it. I beleive this drops it into the improved heading.

------------------
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY...OL CRIP
NUCLEAR GRADE UBC RETIRED

<eldeguello>
posted
Not only is Weatherby chambering for it, it is listed in the current ballistics charts for U.S. ammo. Someone is loading it, too. But I am not sure which brand. A great addition to our list of factory cartridges!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby is loading the .338-06 A-Square cartridge. They sell loaded ammo and new, empty cases for reloading. I have a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .338-06 A-Square. Though I've only had it a few months, it's turning out to be one of my favorite rifles.

-Bob F.

[This message has been edited by BFaucett (edited 05-10-2002).]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello Riflemen: You folks have great advice. I cannot think of a better place to get good qualified reloading data that at this forum.
I'm not sure if my rifle caliber will be classified as a wildcat or an improved caliber. At least two major companys have the 338-06 as standard calibers so in theory the Ackley Improvement should qualify it as an improved cartridge. I really don't know and don't care too much. I'm having the rifle Ackley Improved because it treats the brass so nice. I'm not after velocity but rather longgevity of the brass. I have several AI rifles and they just treat brass well. I rarely need to go to my trimmer. I think triming is the only aspect of reloading I almost dispise. Almost mind you because I like everything about my guns
I live in Oregon and I think our best barrel maker is Pac-Nor. I don't think I have ever heard a negative thing about them. I visited their plant and it's really something to view. I would like to have stayed there all day but they are really busy building sensational rifles. They are a complete gun shop and can do just about everything to a rifle you can think of. They build stocks that are beautiful and I bought an expensive one. It was then I decided to go all the way and they are getting the work done in 10-12 weeks. That's fast by most standards.
So, if your thinking of having just about anything done to your rifle I certainly recommend Pac-Nor. You won't be disapointed.
Thanks again for the help and my best wishes to all od you. Feel free to write, I'm at rober1400c@mindspring.com I'm a gun nut who loves to discuss the subject. Jim Lawrence