Notify
Tools

Which 7mm bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jonher
posted
Hi all,

I'm soon to start reloading for my newly aquired kombi in 12/76 - 7x57R. Big Grin

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on bullet choice, I'm not interested in the premium stuff, as this will be used primarily for roe deer at a velocity of around 775 m/s.

So far I have stumbled across the following at my local hunting store:

Sierra 7mm 140grs SPT Pro Hunter
Sierra 7mm 140grs SBT Gameking
Sierra 7mm 150grs SBT Gameking
Hornady 7mm 139grs SST
Hornady 7mm 154grs SP
Hornady 7mm 154grs RN

I also have VV N160 for reloading my 6.5x55, is this powder suitable for the above, if so does anyone have any reloading info they would like to share? Roll Eyes

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Jonathan

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog:
http://jonathan81.blogspot.com/

Posts: 147 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 11 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Any of the bullets you have listed should work fine for roe deer. If I had to pick one, it would be the Hornady 139 gr. SST.

As for powder, if VV N160 works for the 6.5X55 it should work for the 7X57R as well. Since I don't reload for that cartridge and don't use much VV powder, I can't help you much more in this regard.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 154 grain RN myself, and that's my choice for the old 7X57 I shoot.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
All you mentioned will work fine. I run 140gr Accubond (seconds) though my wife's 7x57. She has taken everything from small TX whitetail does and 50# hogs up through Oryx and elk. Never an issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a flat base bullet.
I would recommend the 154 grn RN Hornady.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
All you mentioned will work fine. I run 140gr Accubond (seconds) though my wife's 7x57. She has taken everything from small TX whitetail does and 50# hogs up through Oryx and elk. Never an issue.

For tiny Roe, I would want a tougher bullet to not blow them up. I like the 140grNAB too.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i only use the 139 interlock.
your x57 won't be smoking them out and the interlock will do what you want.
it is my go to hunting bullet for deer and elk stoked along from 26-2850 fps.
if you have a longer throat go to the 154.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myself,I use the 140gr bullet.Unless i was going after big critters,even then I might go with one of the premmie bullets.Find out what the rifle likes best.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the Hornday 139gr or 154gr bullet. I think VV160 might be a touch slow for best result in the 7x57(R) though, and would try VV-N150 or N140 instead if possible.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just hard to beat the Hornady 139 SP at 2600fps. John

One of Us
Picture of jonher
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone Cool

Could someone please explain what the benefit of a flat base bullet is over a boat tail?

I though boat tails improved accuracy, surely this is a good thing, or am I missing something obvious here!!!

Cheers all
Jonathan

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog:

Posts: 147 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 11 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jonher:
Thanks for the replies everyone Cool

Could someone please explain what the benefit of a flat base bullet is over a boat tail?

I though boat tails improved accuracy, surely this is a good thing, or am I missing something obvious here!!!

Cheers all
Jonathan

Explaining this is kind of like asking why you part your hair the way you do. Boat tail bullets have one big advantage -aerodynamics. They afford better ballistic coefficients, thus they're better for long range.
Now back to the hair thingy. Just as you're an individual, so too is your rifle. Some barrels like boat tail bullets, some don't. You'll just have to try 'em, that's all.

One of Us
Picture of jonher
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buckshot!

I'm leaning towards the Sierra SBT Gameking, I guess I just have to shoot N C Smiler

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jonathan

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog:

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Jonher

I used to load for, and use a 7x57 as did my father before me before we both went to the 7x61S&H cartridge. I just love the Sierra Gamekings boattails, 140gr best in 7x57 at 2800fps and 160gr in 7x61S&H at 3000fps. Always got excellent accuracy and great killing power from them at all ranges. Now getting same results from my 7mm-08 with Sierra 140gr BT at 2900fps. Would not use anything else.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The base of the bullet is most critical to its accuracy. Boat tails are more difficult to form perfectly than the flat base. Therefore, flat bases are considered more accurate at moderate ranges. The improved aerodynamics of the boat tail can give it an advantage at longer ranges. Other considerations may be more significant for your choosing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jonher, I'm guessing your gun is German - or at least Central European?? If yes, the CIP spec'ed barrels have a slightly larger internal diameter - yes, that is true, a CIP 7mm is strictly speaking not a .284 cal.

It is possible, although not certain, that this might have an effect on what bullets will shoot out of your rifle barrel. Should you experience accuracy problems with .284 cal bullets, one option is to try a Central European product like RWS KS or similar - sadly at much higher $$$.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote