Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota headstamp 30/06 brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted
I noticed that Graf has this for sale and also heard that Lapua made the Tac 20 brass that Dakota currently sells. Comparing Graf's part numbers, the '06 and the Tac 20 brass both carry different style part numbers from the other Dakota brass.

Is it possible or does anyone know if the '06 brass is also made by Lapua? If so, the price is very reasonable compared to Lapua headstanped brass.

Gabe

Pa to three sons
Sambone 5
Catcher 3
Heebies 1
Husband to one wife
the Cluck

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also a bunch of Dakota headstamped .223 Rem brass going around at present - supposedly also made by Lapua, and cheaper than the regular Lapua brass.

Before Dakota filed for Chapter 11, Lapua was supposed to produce a bunch of brass for them, Tac 20, 6PPC etc. At least that was the word on 6mmBR.com and benchrest.com for quite a while. One could speculate that the brass was finally produced and shipped, but with Dakota under Ch-11, other outlets had to be found.

I had personally not heard of .30-06 brass being a part of the Dakota/Lapua agreement, but I guess it is entirely possible. If it really is made by Lapua, grab a bunch because it is unlikely you'll see it again.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I bought some of the Dakota brass in .223. Said to be made by Lapua. (I paid what was close to Lapua price for it) To one side of the head is a very small shield with an "L" inside it. Don't know if that really means anything or not.
I weighed 20 cases --almost a first for me-- and had a variance of .3grs high to low with most of it weighing 92.9grs. The length was exactly uniform. I loaded up 50 of them straight from the box with various charges using AA2230, cci primers, and Remington Bench Rest bullets. I fire culled one case in the 50(unexplained flyer). The largest 5 shot group was 7/8" which included the unexplained flyer.
If the 30-06 brass is like this, I'd say it's pretty good stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way cool, I just ordered some of the "Dakota" .223 brass the other day. I was attracted to the different headstamp (makes it easier to segregate brass) as well as the Lapua name. If your experience is anything to go by, this should be good stuff... thumb

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
I spoke with the people at Dakota today, it is Lapua brass.

Mike: who is selling the "Dakota" .223 brass?

Gabe

Pa to three sons
Sambone 5
Catcher 3
Heebies 1
Husband to one wife
the Cluck

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen it on eBay (look for "Lapua"). I bought from Bruno's:

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Scre...oduct_Code=DAKOTA223

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote