New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 wsm for benchrest?
 Login/Join

<Wild Bill>
posted
Now that it's been out for a little while, does anyone use a target rifle in this caliber? I's wondering how it would hold up against the other .30 cals used in 1000yd shooting. I had decided on the .300 win but then the wsm came out. Any experiences? Can a Remington 700 bolt with a .532 face be modified with out much expence?

<Bullet Boy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Now that it's been out for a little while, does anyone use a target rifle in this caliber? I's wondering how it would hold up against the other .30 cals used in 1000yd shooting. I had decided on the .300 win but then the wsm came out. Any experiences? Can a Remington 700 bolt with a .532 face be modified with out much expence?

I just finished a 300 wsm on a remington short action .223 bolt face.
I choose the .223 b/c I would not have to silver solder a bushing into the bolt face when I opened it up to .541 and then i installed a sako extractor. I had to open up the feed rails to .655 at the front and .575 at hte back. Also the feed rail on the right hand side had to be cut back farther in order to get it to load correctly. I then used a wyatt extended box mag I got of Brownells, it gave me .115 added lenght. also where the feed ramp is on the action I had to grind off the taper of the feed rails so the sholder would not catch. I installed a lija 1-12 twist 24inch barrel {bdl taper +.050} Will pull the trigger this weekend

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Boy:
I then used a wyatt extended box mag I got of Brownells, it gave me .115 added lenght.

What is the extended box magazine, and what does it do? I have been looking for some sort of a 5 shot detachable magazine setup to put on my Remington 700.