THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen and plinking/small game loads?
 Login/Join

<bjk>
posted
Just picked up Ruger in 35 Whelen and am loving it. I have read a few places that talk about using pistols bullets to download the Whelen for plinking or small game. Is there an online source, or book that might have some detailed info on this subject. I want to shoot this gun as much as possible, a soft load for small game or target would be great.

Any info appreciated
Brian

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Get the Lyman cast bullet handbook, it is the best source of loading data for plinking bullets. You can substitute 350 rem mag data.

I've put hundreds of 150, 158, 180 and 200 gr cast pistol bullets through mine, as well as some jacketed 158 gr. 7-8 gr red dot will push them ~800 fps, accuracy has been 1" or less @ 25 yds, recoil and report are non existant. Just like shooting a 22rf, but quieter and bigger holes. Everyone that shoots those loads has a big grin on their face afterwords. Something about shootnig a medium bore rifle with no recoil that is lots of fun.

I've also used 10-15 gr Universal clays and Unique for 1200-1700 fps loads, and 14 gr 2400 for an accurate albeit dirty 1200 fps load. I prefer a gas check bullet for the 1700 fps loads, but the slower loads (1400 and under) work fine w/ plainbase bullets. I would stear clear of commercial hardcast bullets sized .357" as you will likely have problems with leading. Softer bullets sized .358-.359" are much better.

I've used various std primers and no fillers. Best accuracy with cast will be with a barrel that has had all jacket fouling thoroughly removed. If you have an accurate rifle, it should be capapble of 2 moa or better accuracy at 100 yds.

What's really fun is shooting the bullets with a decent meplat at 100 yds. You can hear the slap of the bullet hitting a cardboard target backer a bit after the report of the shot.

I've tried Lee's 150 rf mold as well as their 158 gr swc gc, and they both shoot well, so if you're interested in casting your own, you can do so with a minor investment in a mold or two, a bottom poor furnace, and a push through sizer. If you're using plainbase bullets, don't even size em, just use tumble lube.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul -- at what distance do you test accuracy of your light loads? And, what trajectory are you looking for (1" high at 25 yds, point of aim at 50, etc.)

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<bjk>
posted
Thanks for the info. I'll pick up hte book ASAP. I am really looking forward to shooting this rifle as much as possible, hence the light load query. Thanks again.

Brian

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
John,

I have not changed my scope settings for the mild loads, so don't know the trajectory, other then they are ok to 25 yds, are ~6" low at 50, and really dropping at 100 yds.

Now that I've had my rifle re-chambered to a 350 Rigby, my groups have shrunk in 1/2, so I'm shooting at 50 yds, and occasionally 100 yds.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
To really use loads that are reduced as much as we are talking about here a different aimimg point is good. A scope with a post or using the heavy part of the duplex reticule may work. It's best to write down whatever you do here on the box of reduced loads as it's easy to forget this stuff next year.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The Speer manual has some loads for their 158 gr JSP and JHP bullets at about 2100 fs, or 45 grns of IMR 4895 for 1979 fs, with a "do not reduce" flag..

Happy plunking..!

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in a 358, i like hornady 158 xtp/jhp at 2900.... awesome varmit round... rabbits... well, can you say brown rain and pink mist?
don't shoot anything edible or much bigger... the bullets just fly apart!!
jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote