New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saeed and others, help w/ 25-284 Win
 Login/Join

posted
Gents:

I just acquired a Argentine 1909 w/ a 24" tube in 25-284 Win. I always wanted a quarter bore for Coues Deer!

I also received 20 cases and a Redding FL size die. I have a three questions regarding this cartridge:

1.) Best place to find starting load data for 100-120 gr bullets, can I use 25-06 starting data.
2.) Saeed do you have any additional data for the 25-284 other than the reloading data page?
3.) Best way to form cases.

I was forming cases in the FL size die and ran into some problems, first the virgin 284 Win cases appear to fit tight, I was just attempting to size the neck in steps. Second after adjusting the die to size more of the neck I started bulging the neck just above the shoulder, and finally the shoulder colapsed after adjusting the die to size the case.

Do I need a form die? I was told I could just run the 284 Win cases in the die and I have a formed case. Is this true?

Well that's my story, looking for suggestions and direction.

Cheers,

BD

Posts: 24 | Location: WA | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigdog, keep poking around for load data if you don't find what you want at Steve's Pages. The case has a bit more volume than the .25 Souper, maybe 10-15%, my data is not precise. I would not start with .25-06 data, but would use data from the Souper instead, starting somewhere near top loads for that cartridge.

Another option would be to get some help from somebody that has Load from a Disc, or similar balistic software. Or call Hornady, good chance they can get you pointed in the right direction.

Regarding your forming problem, it is difficult to pin down the precise dimensions of your case as wildcats are not standardized. Ken Howell suggests forming cases with an RCBS form die with no other info. Such dies are available from most die manufacturers by the way. The specs. in Ken's big blue book indicate your cartridge is .002" wider at the shoulder datum than the parent cartidge, and a bit longer as well, so fireporming is not viable. Hope this helps.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a standard 7-08 neck sizing die to neck size 7 x 57 AI cases - no expensive custom die neccessary.

Maybe you could use a 260 Rem FL die as a forming die - it could be worth a few bucks to try.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdog:
Gents:

I just acquired a Argentine 1909 w/ a 24" tube in 25-284 Win. I always wanted a quarter bore for Coues Deer!

I also received 20 cases and a Redding FL size die. I have a three questions regarding this cartridge:

1.) Best place to find starting load data for 100-120 gr bullets, can I use 25-06 starting data.
2.) Saeed do you have any additional data for the 25-284 other than the reloading data page?
3.) Best way to form cases.

I was forming cases in the FL size die and ran into some problems, first the virgin 284 Win cases appear to fit tight, I was just attempting to size the neck in steps. Second after adjusting the die to size more of the neck I started bulging the neck just above the shoulder, and finally the shoulder colapsed after adjusting the die to size the case.

Do I need a form die? I was told I could just run the 284 Win cases in the die and I have a formed case. Is this true?

Well that's my story, looking for suggestions and direction.

Cheers,

BD

Where you at in AZ
I shot my couse deer in DEC with my 25-284, here are thre of my favorite loads.
55.5grs RL25 CCI 200primers 90gr Sierra Boattail Hollopoints this is the load i used on my deer.
53.5grs RL19 CCI 200 primers 100gr Sierra Boattails
60.0grs H1000 CCI primers 100gr Sierra Boattails
These three loads showed no pressures in my rifle.
Another you might want to try is 53.5grs of IMR4350 with 100gr bullets take your pick.

As far as making cases I run my 284 cases through a 6.5-284 sizer die first then through a 25-284 sizer die. Now if you want to run 284 cases straight through a 25-284 die you need to use once fired 284 brass. IF you decide to get rid of it let me know.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, nice deer by the way! I saw it on the Coues WT site.

I am up in the second big city to the North of you, Phoenix.

I will most probaly not part with it, I have several wildcats in my gun safe and just need to get the process down. I have always wanted a quarter bore.

Have you tried any heavier bullets like the 115 BT, 117 gr Sierra, 120 Speer or the 115 gr. TSX?

BD

Posts: 24 | Location: WA | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Ed.

How are you? I know you have been shooting 6mmAI, and I know this is not part of this thread, but any of your buddies shooting 6mm-06? Since I had a long Rem. action thats what I wound up building. Looking for loads etc.

Thanx

Jerry

ps I thought you lived in Calif. Nice to be in AZ eh?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdog:

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, nice deer by the way! I saw it on the Coues WT site.

I am up in the second big city to the North of you, Phoenix.

I will most probaly not part with it, I have several wildcats in my gun safe and just need to get the process down. I have always wanted a quarter bore.

Have you tried any heavier bullets like the 115 BT, 117 gr Sierra, 120 Speer or the 115 gr. TSX?

BD

Bigdog,

I have never really felt a need to shoot heavier bullet in it the 100's and 90's perform very well, When I was in Oregon long before I joined the army, My friend who is Native american went on a ceremonial deer hunt and he used my 25-284 he shot 7 deer with it all one shot kills using 100gr Hornady's, Myself I have shot three nice mulies with it and of course last year my couse deer, the mulies I shot were with 100 gr Hornady's all one shot kills. Now my friend he uses 117 in his and he is using H-4350 I forget the exact load and he has shot a couple of nice blacktails with his.
How I got my load for RL-25 I used 25-06 loading data, I didn't use the max load but the middle load, it shot fine so I saw no use in increasing the load. Another powder to try is Varget it showed a lot of potential on my 25-284.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a 25-284 since 1969. With SC4831 I generate 3300 fps with 100 gr and 3060 with 120 gr. I have shot carribou, antelope and deer of all shapes and sizes. I agree that a 100 gr is probably the best bullet for hunting but it can sure jelly the meat from shoulder to stern. 120 gr does less meat damage. I size my cases by going straight into the 25-284 sizing die. You can buckle the neck/shoulder if yo do not use enough lube on the outside of the case neck - I apply it with my fingers. Also what I like about SC4831 is that it does not lose velocity in colder weather. I have been testing a number of reloads this winter in Montana and the velocity drop-off with some powders (RL19, RL22 and IMR 4350, MagPro) is kind of shocking. I also just switched to H4350 for my 338 and 243 for the same reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigdog:

I have worked with a .25-284 off and on since 1969. It belongs to a friend who has been in and out of reloading through the years, and I have it at my place now, working up some fresh loads for him.

In my experience, you are safe using "starting" loads for the .25-06, and working from there. The "theoretical" case capacity of the .25-284 is just a tad short of the '06, but as you know, chambers vary and one rifle may digest more powder than another. We have never used anything other than original surplus 4831 in this rifle (which is well suited to it). Surplus 4831 works with everything from 75's to 120's, and works so well that we've never had need of anything else. In currently available powders, I would recommend IMR 7828 if you like the IMR series, or H4831. RL-22 (N205) should be good, also, but be sure you have plenty of one lot on hand to last awhile, because this powder seems to vary significantly from lot to lot.

I'm working on some long-range whitetail loads for this rifle now. Although heavy bullet weight is not required for terminal performance on deer-sized game, I think you'll find that something like the Nosler 115 Ballistic Tip will provide more consistent long-range performance (less wind drift) due to the higher BC.

I've never had any trouble with a simple one-trip pass through the FL sizer with virgin .284 brass, but then the dies are custom RCBS made for this chamber.

Good luck and have fun.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I agree with Stoncreek on the powders if you find a load that shoots a RL powder real well you need to find the lot number and go find some more powder with the same lot number cause for some reason RL powders varies so much from lot to lot. I did exactly that when RL25 shot so well in my rifle, went back to the gunshop and they had 1LB left of that lot number. I also have a 6mm-284 it needs to have a stock put on it, 6.5-284 excellent long range rifle especially with 120gr Nosler Solid bases which I need to find some more and a std 284.