Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone reload 460 S&W?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to the caliber and looking for a few good loads.
So far, I've got some data from Accurate and Hodgdon but I really want to find some decent bullets.
All I'm finding are the same old 45 bullets. Is anyone making anything like the Hornady factory loads?
I'd like to build a few loads with flatter trajectories at 100+ yards but don't see any bullets that look fitting.

Posts: 21 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 24 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for my .460 and bullet selection is still pretty limited if you want to push them. Currently Hornady makes a 240gr & 300gr XTP Mag and Nosler makes the 260gr & 300gr HG Partition. I also buy hard cast 300gr TC GC from Ranger Rick in Alaska. He cast excellent bullets for various calibers and can be reached at RGIBSON38@HOTMAIL.COM

Be careful using standard bullets in this caliber, the gain twist rifling is hard on them if you push them.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I'm using an Encore so gain twist doesn't apply here.
Unfortunately, I don't have the weight or muzzle brake either.

I'm working on the brake...

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I have tried reloading the 460 and I'm pulling my hair out.

I've started way under max load working up to it and can't get within 4-5 grain without overloading. I haven't checked velocities with the loads, but it's a bit frustrating. It might be the primers. I'm using Fed 215's which are the magnum rifle, of course.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What do you mean overloading?
What components are you using?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feets:
Thanks.

I'm using an Encore so gain twist doesn't apply here.
Unfortunately, I don't have the weight or muzzle brake either.

I'm working on the brake...
I have an encore 15 inch 454casull pistol barrel that I had TC install a Muzzle Tamer on that I learned doesn't work.On my other encore pistol barrel in 30-06 I had Score High Gunsmithing install a muzzle brake & it works perfectly check them out www.probed2000.com I reload my 454casull with W296 & H110 and get great performance.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I'm using 296 powder and a variety of bullets. But, I'm way under the published loads and still getting high pressure. I haven't tried different primers and I'm assuming that it will lower the pressure. I have been using Federal 215's. Probably a little over kill.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw the Probed brake butdon't care too much for it. I really want one cut into the barrel.

I've heard that the TC Muzzle Tamers really dont do much. That's probably due to the exit bore being too large.

As for the loads, are you going more than half way through the powder range for the bulet size?

When was the last time you calibrated your scale?

Try switching to a non-magnum primer and see if it helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a S&W .460 PC with a 10 1/2" barrel. I've used 45-48gr of H110 with a Hornady 240gr XTP MAG using CCI 250 primers and have no signs of high pressure. I've also used WLR MAG primers with no problems.

Scrollcutter, how do you know you're getting high pressure? Flattened primers? It's not a very good indicator with this cartridge. Even factory loads exhibit flattened primers. Have you chrono'd your loads? All of my loads for this cartridge and all of the loads for my S&W 500's show flattened primers and they are all within specs. Your primers are not the problem.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
My symptoms are hard extraction and deformation of the brass on the backside of the brass from hitting back plate of frame.

It's definitely high pressure. My thoughts are that the Fed 215 primers are too hot for the cartridge. I haven't had the chance to try others, but will go with CCI 250's or Win mag rifle primers.

I can't think of what it might be other than the primers. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

posted Hide Post
Is this a revolver or Encore?
You might change the primer but I don't know that it would cause the problems you're having.

It certainly sounds ugly.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
It's a 460 S&W. I certainly hope it's the primers. Like you, I can't quite figure it out. I can see primers affecting it to a degree, but not the amount that I'm getting.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

posted Hide Post
Is it possible that the cases are slamming back into the frame when fired? Perhaps the gap at the back of the cylinder is too deep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe that Fed 215's are too hot for the loads you're using and you're below max. Have you fired 45Colt or .454Casull loads in this gun? If you have make sure you clean the cylinder VERY good, it may account for the sticky extraction.

What brass are you using? Hornady's is much softer and I don't like it, I only use Starline now.
A couple of years ago I fired (by mistake) some loads I'm assuming approached 65k psi and only then did I experience stuck cases, I had to pound them out. All of the primer pockets were blown out as well because three out of five primers fell out upon firing.

I'd check the cylinder walls carefully before switching primers. Also make sure you're using a FIRM crimp. Are the outside of the cases getting sooted up causing the stickiness?

I've shot in excess of 2k rounds through my guns using over two dozen different bullets and with the exception of the 600grainers none have given me problems.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight.

I'm using Starline brass and the rims are deformed by the frame, even when the loads aren't sticking.

I'm using a hard crimp and no sooting. Sooting would lead me to believe that the loads are under loaded. These aren't that at all!

I need to get some factory ammo and see how that works and get back to the bench and try again.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831