New
Find
Notify
Tools

umc brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does any one know if factory umc brass that is stamped R P, is up to the same quality as regular rem brass. Or is it held to lower standards? I have a 223 encore that I just got the barrel for, and I wanted to fireform some brass. The local waly world sells 20 umc round for three and a half bucks. This seems alot cheaper than buying new brass and loading and shooting it once to form it.

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
Chadr,

I can't speak for Remington, but I've found that Federal American Eagle brass is every bit "as good" as the rest of there stuff. I reciently purchased 1,000 rounds of loaded FMJ ammo for $3.19 a box, and 1,000 rounds of Federal M 193 millitary ball ammo which is assembled from Lake City Brass, for $3.39 a box. This ammo shoots very well in my CZ 527 Lux in .223. I can't explain why they charge 3 to 4 times as much for the rest of their stuff. Yes, FMJ bullets are cheaper than Sierra's and the like, but that alone can't possibly make up the cost difference. I think it's production quantities. When you make a lot of something, the cheaper it becomes to make it per unit. I will reload this brass, and I'm sure it will achieve just as good accuracy as any other brand of brass. Remingtons UMC brass falls into the same catagory. Incedently, I've found Natchez has the best price on this ammo, which is where I purchased it from. Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded UMC brass for my .223 Contender and never noticed any difference in accuracy or the number of times that it can be reloaded.

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chadr... i did what you are thinking of doing. i have a cz 223. i bought 6 boxes or that umc, 3.97/box ammo from walmart, just for the brass. seems to work great. and the stuff shoots good too but i just used it for plinking because of the FMJ bullets. good luck...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
my umc just says umc at top and 223 rem at bottom only 2 problems i have is it dont hold as much powder as remington brass and the primer pocket its not chamferd so its hard to put primers in. uniforming the primer pocket didnt help chamfering it helped a little best way was to slide it in primerer till i felt primer center i use rcds hand primmer. jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote