New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 vartart and Lil Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of loads using 32 grain bullets and Lil Gun in the 20 Vartarg cartridge?

Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I found the 35gn Berger the best balanced bullet in my 20 VT. I tried both the 32 and 40's and think the 35 gives almost the same velocity and holds up better as range extends. I found 19.5gn H4198 and WSR gives me 3735fps and exceptional accuracy in my XR100. Kindler found that 4198 was the optimum powder when he was developing the cartridge and liked the 35gn Berger although it was a pre-production run of 36gn that he had for a start. Devestating on rabbits and I have also taken half a doz goats as well with this bullet.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Von gruff
I have had great accuracy with H 4198 and 32 Sierra blitz kings
Was curious about Lil Gun as it works well in my 22 Fire ball and Hornets.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was loading my 20 VarTarg with 32 gn Hornady V-max flat base and 4198. Good load for my rifle. However, was damaging a lot of brass at the mouth during seating. I switched to boat tail bullets which stopped the brass mouth damage problem. But could not find a boat tail bullet less than 40 gn. So with 40 gn V-max boat tails I also swithed to V W N-133 powder and found this combo works very well in my Cooper.(Switched to N-133 because I use it in my PPCs).
PS: I use a Hornady bullet seater because it was only one available when I started VT loading.

berylh

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a little bit in here about what you are looking for.

http://www.z-hat.com/Wildcat_in_GW1206.htm

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I would have been dissapointed in a best group of .420 (from the Z Hat link) I was "aiming" for a 1/4 inch rifle and have got that plus more and have a best group on my wall of .084 and by the end of my testing when I had decided on the Bergers was mostly getting in the two,s. Have replaced the XR100 thumbhole stock with one I made myself and have a walking varminter of 11 1/2 lb with 4.16 Monarch/ mildot and have a rabbit at 318M (350YDS) as first shot kill. Use the Wilson dies and believe this is about as good as it gets for a rabbit rifle. The 32 V max's I tried were the flat base and while I got very good accuracy it was way down on the velocity I got accuracy with for the Berger.
The Sierra's were just coming on the market after I got my load sorted so have not tried them. Love the Berger and how it performs so unlikely to change.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote