Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seating depth
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted
I am trying to tweek some loads for 22-250, 257 Roberts and 6.5X55 and am wondering about bullet seating depth. I have been using the nominal COL from the bullet manufacturers but now have a way to check the maximum COL with a range of bullets.

I have seen folks on the forum talk about seating bullets out to just touch the lands or leave certain amounts of free travel before engaging the lands.

What do most folks around here use as a starter amount of free travel to the lands?

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If my magazine length will allow it, I start at .010" off the lands and adjust in, in .002" increments until I find the sweet spot.

Except for Barnes monometal bullets. I start them at .050" off the lands and move them in and out in .005" increments.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why the difference in monometal bullets vs. conventional?

Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Markhpb:

Mark

My question also.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark

The mono bullets need the running start to keep pressures down when they hit the rifleing. Std cup & core bullets engrave with the rifleing much easier, and don`t tend to spike pressure like the harder solid metal bullets.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
quote:

Mark

The mono bullets need the running start to keep pressures down when they hit the rifleing. Std cup & core bullets engrave with the rifleing much easier, and don`t tend to spike pressure like the harder solid metal bullets.

I knew there was a difference but never knew why... bewildered

Thanks...Now I know why... thumb

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...and Barnes recommends .050" for the exact reasons listed above. Given what they cost, I'll take their word for it. My guns do their best with monometal bullets seated anywhere from .050" to 1/10".

That said, I make changes in seating depth in increments of .010" as I can detect no appreciable difference in increments of .005". Most cup & core bullets do their best somewhere between .010" and .050".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seating depth has no effect on accuracy,IMO.Just seat them normally and that's it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seating variation can have a fairly big effect on accuracy IF IF you have a rifle capable of exploiting it. The huge majority of factory off the shelf rifles do not. What many people see as an improvement due to seating is actually the lessening of neck tension as they reduce bearing surface of the bullet.

Using bushing type neck dies (accurately) in factory rifles can be even better at helping accuracy in factory rifles.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote