New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new Rem VLS in 204 Ruger arrived and I have mounted a Leo VX-II 6x18 AO with a fine retical and target turrents on it. Also have a supply of new Win brass, some Hornady 32gr and 40 gr V-maxs, and I ready to start loading. Question is what powder to use? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Chief.

Posts: 115 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I'd go with RE10x, or Benchmark. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Re10x or AA2520 either one of these powders works great, id go with the Sierra 32 or 39 grn rather than the Vmax (just my preference)

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THE CHIEF: I have three newish factory stock Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger and I have been very satisfied with the accuracy I have achieved with all of them!
So far I have only used 2 different types of powders.
3 diffferent types of bullets. And one type of primer! I won't call it load development because all my loads were accurate!

Bullets I have tried so far:
Hornady 32 gr. V-Max
Berger 35 gr. Hollowpoint
Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKings

Primer I use:
Federal 205M

Powders I have used:
H 4895
AA 2230

What are your objectives? Top accuracy? Most explosive bullet? Highest velocity?

A poster here has done a lot of testing and a lot of chronographing of AA 2520 and AA 2230 powders in his 204's! His screen name is Groundhog devastation. Do a search here and on the Varmint section of this site for his recommendations.
Good luck with your 700 VLS! My VLS in 204 Ruger likes the 35 gr. Bergers! Be sure to try and find a box of these!
If you are interested in pure explosiveness and lethality in the field then the Sierra 32 gr. has a slight edge over the Bergers and the 32 gr. V-Max's in my observational opinion.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
Big GrinI'm real happy using BLC-2. Good velocity and good tight groups!

Hornady Case
WSR Primer
30.0 grains BLC-2
32 Grain V-Max's or Blitzkings
COL 2.250
4132 FPS from a Shooting Chrony Chronograph

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
204 Ruger brass for sale. Winchester. 100 rd. bags. $14.75 + shp.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Price reduced on above brass. $13.50 + shp.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote