New
Find
Notify
Tools

SS media Tumbling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been getting varied results from this method og cleaning brass. At times my brass will come out with a grayish/black film, which can be wiped off to reveal the brass, however when this occurs the brass is not as shiny as you would want. This causes me vibrate them with walnut media to clean them up.

Ant ideas of what I am doing wrong, I use joy and lemi shine, will using too much lemi shine cause this?

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
With stainless only use the dish soap....no citric acid

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Also, don't use too much Lemishine or soft water.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere to use 1 to 2 tablespoons of Dawn (depending on how many cases and how dirty they are) and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine.

I've never had bad results with this method.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I tumble mine with SS media. I have soft water and use a little lemi-shine(less is better). When my media was new it would do as you describe, gray and nasty. I even washed my media first before ever using it. After a few cycles it will come out of it and your brass will come out looking bright and shiney. I always use cold water to tumble and rinse my cases after tumbling in cold water. Rinse my media afterwards too. It doesn't take much dawn either.

Posts: 6 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: 21 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Dang i'm doing it all wrong, and have been for years!
I use hot water, citric acid and so on and here is my dismall result:

What du you think i should change in my proces?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use distilled water with very little lemshine and Dawn dishwashing detergent.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Add me to the ranks of "Very little Lemishine". 1/4 tsp. maximum.

One downside to using SS media: it makes old, worn out cases shine like new. I keep careful track of the mileage on my reloads.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran out of the Lyman ultrasonic brass cleaner so I tried the Dawn + citric acid mix I used ½ tsp of each in 2L of distilled water.

The result was very dull old looking brass with bright blue colour in some of the headstamp script. The case were clean just tarnished.
I don't know if I've use too much or too little of one chemical ot both.

The Lyman brass cleaner product perfectly shinny brass like pictured in the thread.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care about shiny just clean. A couple of drops of Dawn in the water works just fine. That might not work if you have hard water.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
I read somewhere to use 1 to 2 tablespoons of Dawn (depending on how many cases and how dirty they are) and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine.

I've never had bad results with this method.

This right here!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The amount of soap added is not written in stone, this will depend on your water hardness and how dirty your cases are.

See below the water should still be sudsy when finished tumbling, if not add more soap.