Find
Notify
Tools

COL?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
Ok I originally thought that listed COL was the minimum length for the cartridges. Is it in fact the maximum length? Different data lists different COL's. I've been going by what functions in the magazines and feeds well, but alot of the time I'm over the listed COL. Is this a mistake? I'd hate to be causing high pressures and not even know it!

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
but alot of the time I'm over the listed COL. Is this a mistake?

Nope.

There is no reason not to load it longer. Provided you cartridge fits and feeds correctly and you allow a small jump to the lands. Many will find what they feel is an accurate load and then tweek the amount of the jump.

I normally start in the .04 freebore but have some larger bore that are actually more in the bullet dia range.

So simply I will set my COL at the point that gives me .04 freebore or the longest that will fit and feed in my magazine. Whichever is shortest.

As to pressure since you should be working up the load in your rifle any pressure that is listed on a loading manual etc more than likely will not match your rifle. As always start low and work up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul, I normally load for auto pistols, I guess I should have stated that. I am going to be loading for .223 soon also, so this helps. I just always want to be cautious. I've just started loading for the 9mm luger and I understand it's a bit less forgiving than the .45 acp because the pressures are higher. Does pistol vs. rifle make any difference. Sorry for the elementary questions.... Thanks!

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic883:
Thanks Paul, I normally load for auto pistols, I guess I should have stated that. I am going to be loading for .223 soon also, so this helps. I just always want to be cautious. I've just started loading for the 9mm luger and I understand it's a bit less forgiving than the .45 acp because the pressures are higher. Does pistol vs. rifle make any difference. Sorry for the elementary questions.... Thanks!

With the auto pistols a lot of things seem to change.

Sizing your brass becomes even more critical for proper feeding. If you are reloading for an after market barrel, be aware that many of them market their products as "match grade barrel" which is any word for short tight chambers. Lone Wolf, in my opinion, is the worst with very short and tight chambers and better than that is the worst customer service.....none. Your dies need to be able to size enough for a "drop-in" test on your barrel. Break down your auto and take your re-sized brass, without any other operations done to it, and drop it into the chamber of your barrel while you hand hold it. It should make a thunk noise and the rim of the brass be below the the external rim of the barrel. If it thunks, your sizer is working ok. If no thunk, the turn down your die until it is 1/4 turn PAST the shell holder. In other words lower the die until it touches the shell holder, then raise the die and lower it 1/4 turn more as this will cause it to cam over and maximize the sizing.

Once you past the sizing tests, then the seating depth of the bullet and the bullet design become a factor. The OAL length can be found for all the cartridges we normally use at the SAAMI website available by Googling. This part then becomes an art. You want to have the length short enough to feed through the magazine and yet sufficient length to seat the bullet properly. Be aware that in the auto pistol world, the deeper you seat the bullet the higher the pressure builds in that load, as we are not talking about a lot of slop space in there. The amount of flare you bell the case mouth to seat and then close it back up with a taper die can also be a factor. Only bell enough to get the bullet started in the seating process and beveled base bullets aid in this operation. Again a thunk test can be performed on a loaded round into a disassembled barrel to see if it passes. Different bullet designs will need to be seated at different depths to clear the lands. Be aware that some manufacturers of the auto world have generous chambers for easy feeding, Glock factory barrels will feed a lot of stuff but there are some who have concerns about shooting lead through a Glock factory barrel, if that is your flavor.

Shooting a couple hundred rounds of your favorite reload through your auto without malfunction will then give you the feeling of confidence that you are probably looking for.

Others may have different opinions, and there is no shortage of them on these boards, but I have learned the above after a lot of mistakes.

Be patient and I found that I got better at swearing by reloading for the auto pistols. Good luck.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I normally load for auto pistols

Oops shocker I should have also stated I was talking about my rifle loading. For auto pistols I stay a lot closer to SAAMI specs.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the great info! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
seating closer to the lands can cause higher (potentially unsafe) pressures. -.010 off the lands is what I've always been told/heard is the closest safe seating but I always lean to being conservative in reloading. I love me too much to push the envelope and risk injury...one accident could be fatal. IMHO

Posts: 154 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 24 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Book OAL is what the book test team used to develop the listed data. It's no more a SAAMI specification nor rule for others to slavisly follow than their powder charges are.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote