New
Find
Notify
Tools

roundnose bullets in .30-06
 Login/Join

<billebob>
posted
Do roundnose bullets generate higher pressures than spitzer bullets?

None of my manuals have data for .30-06 with 180-gr. RN bullets.

I'm looking for a .30-06 load for H4350 powder, WLR primers, WW cases, and Hornady 180-gr. RN bullets.

Thanks in advance

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
H-4350 From 43.6 grains to 58.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
billebob Most bullet manufactures list the same loads for their round nose and spitzer bullets of the the same weight. Assuming the bullet jackets are drawn from the same material and are the same hardness and are the same weight the only other thing that would affect the pressure is the bearing surface of the bullet.Boat tail bullets can often be driven to slightly higher velocities for that reason but there is very little difference between most pointed and round nose bullets of the same manufacturer.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady forth edition H4350 49.6 grs to 55.3 grs
Sierra 50th anniversary edition 48.1 grs to 54 grs
always start low and work up. hope this helps

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Round noses and flat points kill better I beleive.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the exception of the now discontinued 105gr speer 243 RN all the printed loading data I have seen treats spitzers and RN as the same. The extra pressure that might result from the bearing surface could be negated by the shorter bullet increasing available case capacity.

Someone ran quickload for me for my 9.3x62, the woodleigh being a RN allowed an amount more powder and hence velocity for the same pressures, of course being a RN the increased velocity would soon have bled off.

I am really impressed with the Hornady RN in my 7x57.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<billebob>
posted
Thanks all!