Find
Notify
Tools

Reloads vs. Factory???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like your opinions and comments on the following:
Today I shot a "test" box of ammo, loaded from a notable reloader. My last batch of 4 rounds (the black" ones) cut a nice four leaf clover out of my factory, glass bedded, factory barrel rifle. Here's the unexpected part....I also shot a Federal Premium group, using the same 160gr Accubond bullet, and, the group was just as small, I was shocked!
So my question is this, should I spend twice the money on handloads that I can buy off the shelf? I also know that the handloads will be loaded the same each time, maybe even by the same worker. How consistant will the factory premium stuff be, especially when using different lot numbers as time goes by?
I don't mind spending the money if it's the best way to get the best stuff. What do you think????????

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
As time goes by the factory stuff will change. The different lots of components will have it`s effect at some point. The same though will also occure with the reloads you are buying. The reloads unless you load them yourself are simply a factory type loading held to hopefully tighter quality. The only way to have a load stay static is to buy a large enough amount of the components you are useing and load them to your specs yourself.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time loading ammo that beats Speer Nitrex 160grGS in my .280. I can match the accuracy & vel. but not do better. So why handload? I can handload for about half price, and then to top it off, Speer goes & discontinues the Nitrex ammo. My handloads will never be disc. & I can lay in enough of my favorite bullet to last me a lifetime for nominal cost.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree...the expensive handloads(remember I buy them) do no better than the Federal Premium Accubonds, so my concern is how consistant are the factory loads from lot to lot, and over time?? Any opinions?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was given a box of Federal Premium 308 Win ammo that used the 165 grain Hornady BTSP bullet.

One day at the range I brought it along and shot it at a spare target while I was developing loads for a couple of other guns. I would fill the magazine of the rifle with three rounds and shoot it while waiting for the other rifles to cool down. I made no attempt to clear it with fouling shots or clean it between groups I just shot the 20 rounds off at the target over a 2 hour period.

At the end of the range session I looked at that target and I had a 1.25" tall by .75" wide 20 shot group. I was very impressed with it.

That caused me to switch to the 165 g Hornady BTSP bullet for that gun and it took me a long time to find a handload that would beat the Federal Premium ammo.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Either way you're buying factory ammo. One factory is smaller than the other, and supposedly held to a higher standard. However, if this is a hunting rifle and you don't use it a lot then why not buy a case of Federal Premiums for it from the same lot and be done with it. Modern factory ammo is better than it's ever been I think. And other than the expense, there are times when very little is gained over factory stuff.

The biggest performance gains are found when loading an old low pressure cartridges in modern arms to higher pressures than the factory will load them. The 7x57 is a great example of this. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar ----- The well known reloader you refer too will be your best bet, but only if you ask him to reserve for you the lot of powder he is using on your reloads presently. If you do this you will also find out how much of the lot he has and how long he can supply those same loads. When he changes the lot of powder, the load may change. ----- The same is true of the Factory loads you are shooting. The thing about Factory loads is, they change also, unless you can afford to buy many boxs loaded at the same time with all like components. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm the only well known handloader I know....How does one get to be a 'well known' handloader.
If you aren't loading them for your gun....whats the point. Buy off the shelf.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
I have had an experiance with Factory Loads that was impressive to me, years ago I bought everything I needed to start handloading for one caliber the.270 Win, never got the stuff set up before deer season so I resorted to factory loads, I bought Hornady Custom .270 Win 130GR SP and went to the range to sight in. the loads held a very impressive 50 cent size hole at 100yds. so I thought that is pretty good for off the shelf. to make a long story short I sugested this loading to several buddies and they all had similar results, and when I bought my 22.250 Varmiter from Ruger I tried the 55GR SP ammo in it and at 100yds. 3 in the same hole not once but every time, I must confess though that I did not shoot these groups a buddy of mine did just to prove to me that my rifle was just as accurate as his (Identical except for the scope). The Hornady Custom for off the shelf in my opinion is real hard to beat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good points by all. The loader is Superior in DakotaLike I said they are awesome, but so was the factory stuff. Keep it coming, I enjoy reading the feedback!

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Tear the endflap off the box of factory ammo that shot so well for you. Then scour the countryside and buy every box you can with the same lot number.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar ----- You happened to pick the best in the business. Superior Ammo is extremely good at what they do. They are now loading North Fork bullets. That is as far as I know the general publics only source of handloaded ammo with the finest premium bullet on the market today. Superior will also craft your own load for your rifle. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote