New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dies, which brand
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady sizing die setup is horrible. Why they don't thread the expander stem is beyond me. Absolute junk.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh I couldn't disagree more; have several sets of Hornady dies and they work perfectly. No need for it to be threaded, Nor even grooved; Lee is smooth and they work as well. Once you set them, you aren't going to be moving them up and down so threads are not needed.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Oh I couldn't disagree more; have several sets of Hornady dies and they work perfectly. No need for it to be threaded, Nor even grooved; Lee is smooth and they work as well. Once you set them, you aren't going to be moving them up and down so threads are not needed.

But are these dies cheaper or better than others, why not threaded stems, simple to adjust, positive lock only finger tight needed on the small locking nut or knurled collar, work every time without having to winch the crap out of the the collet nut on the Hornady dies to ensure a slightly harder deprime doesn't move the stem. Why even think of changing a system that has worked on dies from day one. Likewise for that dumb o'ring locking nut on Lee dies, a crock of crap if ever there was one. Only got one 4 die set set that cane with my sons 223 rifle and a dead stop bullet seater for our 7mm-08s, tossed the o'rings and drilled and tapped the nuts for a grub screw. Now works like every other simple die locking nut and can even use the Lyman box spanner to lock positive each time.
I get short tempered when I see the results of what some stupid designer comes up with that looks like he is still in kindergarten, and that's probably a disservice to some kids that are in kindergarten.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote