New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many people here prefer Hornady V-Max bullets to lets say Nosler B Tips. Do they do more damage?
I use Nosler, but so many people talk about the V-Max.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I use both, 40grvmax in a222 and 55gr nosler bt in a22-250.
the 222 will only shoot lighter bullets.
As far a kill they both play hell on criters.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started shooting Black Hills 50gr VMax through my 223 before I got into reloading. When I started reloading I went right for the Hornady. It has always impressed me as a coyote size and smaller bullet, especially the noise of the impact. I have never loaded any other balistic tip bullets because the VMax has never failed me. I have compared the VMax to Nosler Balistic Tips side to side and the Nosler has more length, which tells me that it has a thicker copper jacket and that it won't come apart as violently as the VMax. I may be full of it, but that's what it looks like to me. Any way, give the VMax a shot and I think you will be very impressed.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
let me preface this by saying that nosler is my bullet of choice at 100gr and above. i get the impression that this post concerned varmint type bullets. i shoot both 25/06 and 250 ackley improved. the 75gr V-max far outshines the 87gr nosler bt in both of my rifles. the V-max is one of the most accurate bullets of any description that i have eaer shot. i can't speak for 22 cal????? good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Probably nine times out of ten I find the V-max to be more accurate, if only marginally so. But who knows, maybe I'm a little biased 'cuz they're generally cheaper...

I think V-maxes have a slightly "lighter" or thinner jacket than the BTs, which makes them a little more "violent" on impact.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have messed around with just about all the new plastic tipped bullets available and they are all generally pretty accurate.

The Hornady V-Max and Sierra BlitzKing are of a more fragile construction than the Nosler Ballistic Tip in my opinion. Both of those bullets blow varmints up in a serious fashion. Not that the Ballistic Tip does not do a good job, but the Sierra and Hornady are more dramatic on small varmints.

Any given gun may give better groups with whatever brand, but the expansion characteristics of the Hornady and Sierra are more dramatic than the Nosler.

Just my experience, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a Vmax fan in 222Rem, 223Rem, and 257RAI.
So far I have just shot targets.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my .221 get a 40 v max and my 22-250's get the 50 v maxs. They are always cheaper and seem to work out past where I can hit anyway. Invescerates a prairie dog like a bomb.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AS FAR AS BULLET PERFORMANCE ON GAME, I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SIERRA BLITKINGS, HORNADY V-MAX, OR NOSLERS. NOW, ON ACCURACY, THE NOSLER RANKS AT THE BOTTOM OF THESE WITH THE BLITKING BEING AT THE TOP. TAKE 5 NOSLERS AND WEIGH THEM, SAY ITS LISTED AS A 70 GRAIN. IN MY EXPERIENCE YOU WILL GET ANTHING FROM 66 TO 75 GRAINS. NOW WEIGHT THE SIERRAS AND HORNADY'S. YOU WILL FIND THESE HAVE A MUCH TIGHTER TOLERENCE IN WEIGHT. JUST FINISHED LOADING AND SHOOTING SOME 52 GRAIN A-MAX IN HORNADY. NOW THESE PUPPIES ARE ACCURATE AND WHEN THEY SAY 52 GRAIN, THATS WHAT THEY ARE.

Posts: 29 | Location: OATMEAL TEXAS BY BERTRAM TX BY LIBERTY HILL TX BY AUSTIN TX ........ETC, ETC, ETC | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I started using VMAX due to price but see no difference between VMAX and BT in accuracy. Although... some BT aren't really varmint bullets so I still use a couple of those.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Hornady is all that's need to be said in bullets.....unless it's Swift....then things are different.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Every V-max I've tried in 22 and 24 caliber I've switched to full time in my guns. Nosler are hit and miss for me, with some guns liking them and others not.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 6.5 mm, 270 and 7mm Vmax bullets and they are very accurate. In the Swift I use the 50 gr Blitz King and there is no reason to test any others.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote