New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H cases from 375's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey, I have a question after reading some other posts. How much work is involved in forming 300 H&H cses from 375 H&H cases? I have never formed any kind of cases before. 300 cases can be hard to come by, but 375's are usually around somewhere. If anyone has ever done this, any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
It's just one pass of the die. However I did have a dent on the shoulder so I started wiping the die out with a paper towel quite a bit. Now this is work.

This makes a better case as you can then set the headspace just right. It does not help all that much however but I makes me feel better. I also used Rem 375 H&H brass as the web is thicker. Again this did not matter that much in case life but did help some.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
The West Laramie Fly Store can get them for you if they do not have any in stock. Also try these sites.

http://www.midwayusa.com/home.html

http://www.lockstock.com/

Both of them are showing it in stock. I am still using the same brass I got when I got my rifle which was about 1982

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, just how many loadings are you getting out of your cases when you form them from 375 cases?

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of anyone that stocks 300 H&H nickel cases? I want some without having to buy Winchester ammo at $35 a box.

<Savage 99>
posted
I get about nine reloads but my loads are not hot. I can feel a ring after a few loads but I know how far I can go. For hunting use new or once fired brass which is a good idea for any cartridge anyway.

I had some Federal .300 HH factory loads that were nickel plated. Maybe they sell the brass like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS sell a case forming die but it is actually just a trim die.

Just one pass will do it but don't overlube the neck will dent.

You trim and then you can anneal.

I am on my second run through of 375 cases I converted. No probs yet.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being relatively new to the art or case forming, I am alittle confused. Are we talking about using a basic 300 H&H resizing die to form the cases or does this process eventually harm the resizing die? If this is possible, which works better; the resizing die or using a form and trim die like one from RCBS or redding? Thanks for the help guys, and please excuse my ignorance as I try something new.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've formed from .375 brass twenty years ago when .300 cases were tough to find. All you do is send a properly lubed .375 case into a properly adjusted FL die, pull it out and you have a .300 H&H case. Do check OAL though and trim as reqd.

I found that a VERY light film of a quality lube was whats needed. If your folding over the cases you have TOO much lube. DO also remember to lube the inside of the case neck as well.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote