New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Copper fouling in the grooves???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My select match pacnor in the same twist and caliber did the same thing. Run some rem bore cleaner on a brush and work vigorously. Repeat until the fouling subsides. The gunsmith hand lapped mine to take care of 90% of it. The bore was too smooth (1200grit experimental) and the copper was gauling to the bore at the speed it was travelling.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
djpaintles, I wasn't sure about that. I thought it just rode "on" the lands, but wasn't sure it touched the grooves. I haven't seen this with any other of my guns. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

djpaintles, I wasn't sure about that. I thought it just rode "on" the lands, but wasn't sure it touched the grooves. I haven't seen this with any other of my guns. Thanks for the input.

Hi Paul,

If the bullet just "slid" on the grooves, too much gas would escape before the presure could build up and thus bullet velocity would be dismal.

The outside diameter any bullet caliber is equal to the diamter of the barrel measured from inside the grooves. For example, a typical 22 caliber bullet is .224 in diamter. The inside bore of the barrel is normally .219, but the diamter measured from inside the grooves is actuall .224.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If the bullet just "slid" on the grooves, too much gas would escape before the presure could built up and thus bullet velocity would be dismal.

Very true.I use sweet's 7.62 and barnes cr-10 to easily remove copper from my gun barrels.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullet touches the lands and grooves. It will leave copper on both. I surprised that you haven't noticed copper in the grooves before. Wipe-Out foam works great on either. I like to make a couple Wipe-Out passes and then use a patch with JB's Bore Brite around a brush to leave it sparkly clean.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above posts.
I use G96 Copper Solvent myself, and it works as good as Barnes or Sweets.
Just wipe 2 or 3 patches down the bore and follow with either Shooters Choice or Butches.
This works even on a 218 Mashburn Bee with an undersized .222 bore when shooting .222, .223, or .224 bullets.

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
You're getting some great ideas, but I'll toss a couple more in there. For general cleaning I like Butch's Bore Shine. It's a really good ammonia cleaner. With a barrel that fouls alot, I'll also finish it up with Barnes CR 10 to get the rest of the copper out. Another idea I got from my gunsmith. He pushes a soaked patch of Hoppes 9 through a clean bore, then lets it stand upside down overnight, muzzle down on a paper towel. Push a couple of clean patches through in the morning, and you'll see green/blue. I've tried it and it really does work for tough to clean barrels (like the grooves you spoke of). The over night soaking only goes for Hoppes 9, and I never let the other cleaners I mentioned sit in my barrels for more than 10-15 minutes. Also, keep in mind to never mix cleaners in your barrel, and always get all of one cleaner out by pushing a few clean patches before using another cleaner. You probably already knew that.

Posts: 9 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote