THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate on Rem700 Classic 250 Savage??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Please help me out. My father-in-law suddenly discovered that Remington put out their Classic in 250 Savage years ago. I've done some looking around but might as well come to the best source available. Can someone please let me know what the twist rate on this rifle is?

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
1-10". It shoots 120s just fine. I've had two of them...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, but not easy to find. Could have sold mine several times, for top dollar!
Check this link from "small calibers"

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=584776&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington, for as good a product as they make, often seems to have problems in determining the correct rate of twist. We all remember the gaff they made with their .244Rem. some years ago. I have one of their Remington Classics in 6.5x55. It comes with a 1 in 9" twist. Most people in the industry claim a 1 in 8" twist is a much better choice, allowing better accuracy with the popular 140gr. bullets. Now I check the twist rate before even looking at a Remington. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another question: Can anyone tell me more about the other specs on this rifle? Like naked weight? And is it a short action? Anything else I should know?

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 99% condition, I have thought about selling it. What do you guys think it would bring?

Jim

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 in 10".

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gal,

Being in the market for one of these, I'm guessing about $150.

But seriously, check out gunsamerica.com. They have one N.I.B. for $700+

<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

Another question: Can anyone tell me more about the other specs on this rifle? Like naked weight? And is it a short action? Anything else I should know?

24" barrel, no sights

Gloss blue

Short action

Weighs about 7 3/8 lbs, but will vary a bit depending on the density of the wood stock.

One item you may be interested in: They (any many other 700s) were fitted with a pressure point from the factory in line with the front swivel stud. This pressure point is simply a highspot on the inside of the forend - you may want to sand it down if accuracy is a problem. I've never had much luck with pressure points - free floating has always worked better.

Hope this helps.

<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

I have one in 99% condition, I have thought about selling it. What do you guys think it would bring?

Jim

I've owned two, and have since sold them both. Sold the last one about a year ago - got almost $1000 for it, but ti did include an 1980s Leupold vari-X II 2-7x. Guns was in about 99% shape. I think I got more for it because it had a particularly nice piece of wood.

Depending on the shape and wood, you should be able to get $650 at least.