THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 55, 129 gr. reloaoding help please.
 Login/Join

<marcus>
posted
I have a Tikka, left hand, in 6.5 x 55 that I would like to use with Hornady 129 grain bullets. The rifle has shot 120 gr. Ballistic tips poorly with a variety of different powders, 125 gr. Partitions beatifully with IMR 4831 giving the best accuracy ( a little over 1/2 inch at 200 yds from the bench). The rifle also shoots PMC 140 grain SPBT into one hole at 100 yds. I would like to use the Hornady's because of cost and wonder if anyone has a pet load that they would care to share.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
47.5 grains of Re-22 and the Hornady 129 grain SP has proven to be an accurate combo in several 6.5x55s. Back off 2 grains and work up -- and chances are you'll come up with a hunting load that does well at the target range also.

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you notice any pressure signs with the PMC? I have shot some in my 700 6.5x55 and the primers flattened big time. Bolt lift was not stiff, but they are hot.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<marcus>
posted
Gatogordo,

The primers were somewhat flattened but nothing major. Also bolt lift was easy and when I mic'ed the cases, they were fine. A-Square had a great book on reloading and pressures. I borrowed it from a gunsmith. Lot's of stuff about pressure, but the biggest thing was not to get too worried about one sign or another, but a combination of signs may be a warning. If you can , get your hands on the book as it was informative for any handloader, whether new or vetern.

<Yspen>
posted
Ditto , Bobby Tomek

Work up from 47 gr Rel 22 .

My Swede loves Rel 22 .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use AR2208 in my swede, this is the equivalent of IMR 4064 according to the ADI book. I use 39 grains behind a generic brand 129gr HP.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I too use 47gr. of Rel 22 and a Hornady 129gr. Three guys same combo, must be good! As far as PMC flattening primers, perhaps their primers use a softer metel cup that flows easily?

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 47 gr of RL 19 and found it to be faster than RL22 and gave me better accuracy with the 129grain Rem bullet.

The Barnes 120gr bullet is great also because it is so long and it retains 100% of its weight and makes great petaled flowers. Awesome, Dude!

I would also check the Shooter Pro Shop at Nosler. The sometimes have "blems" and they are a couple of dollars cheaper than the best (cheapest) mail order sources. You can get the number by going to a search engine and locking onto Nosler.com. Look under employment and there is the number. Same number for the whole place. Option #6 will take you to the Pro Shop. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ku-Dude-
Yes, Re-19 is a tad faster than Re-22 and does give good performance in the Swede. I do have a question, though: Did you mean 120 grain Remington bullet (there's no 129 from Big Green)?

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Dane>
posted
I use 52,0 grains of Vihtavouri N165 behind that Hornady 129 grainer. Its a hot compressed load and its max load in my rifle, but it shoots wonderful. I use Norma cases and CCI-250 primers. Back of a couple of grains and work up.

Stig

<BarryH>
posted
Marcus,

Try 'Herne' over on the HuntAmerica websight. He shoots 129s out of his 6.5 Tikka.

Barry

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
H-4350 From 40.0 grains to 47.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote