New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 25 or 30 remington brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My dad gave me a Model 8 Rem that belonged to his uncle. The rifle is in very good shape. It has been setting in my dad gun cabinet for at least 50 yrs. I sure would like to get it shooting. He got 10 loaded rounds and 8 fired pieces of brass with gun. If I could find some brass to reload than I would buy a set of dies.
Thanks Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming your Model 8 is a .25 Remington?

.25 Rem brass hasn't been made for quite some time, nor has loaded ammunition. On the other hand, .30 Rem brass was available on a "seasonal" basis (just how many years between seasons is not clear) until the most recent ammunition hoarding scare. Remington (as well as the other brass mills) has focused its production capacity on the most popular and in-demand calibers and it is not clear when, or if, they will retool the machinery to produce some of the lower demand brass like .30 Rem. However, since the 6.8 Remington cartridge is based the same .420" head of the .32/.30/.25 Remington cartridge there might be a better chance of .30 Rem brass being produced in the future than some of the other "obsolete" caliber.

If you can find some .30 Rem brass it is very easily reworked into .25 Rem with a single pass of the FL die. I reformed a batch of 100 several years ago and probably lost only a couple in the process of getting the dies properly set.

It would be theoretically possible to turn down the rim and turn an extraction groove into the head of .30/30 brass to create a .25 Remington cartridge. But that would take some specialized machinery and a bit of machinist skill to accomplish.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No specialized machinery needed to make it from common 30-30 brass; simply turn off the rim and cut in an extraction groove. Child's play with pretty low lathe skills required. Of course, you need the lathe; any will do: I used to make them on a Unimat.
Hell, I will make you some; PM sent.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see 30 Rem. for sale from time to time and 35 rem also..You can size them down in a 25 REm file trim die btw. If you can find some 35 Rem cases then you can run them through a 30 Rem file trim die then a 25 file trim die. Then full length resize them..Its a good idea but not totally necessary to heat treat the cases afterwards. They seem to last a lot longer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tough to make them out of 35 Rem brass as it is about .040 bigger than the 30 Rem case head.
The 25 and 30 share a case but the 35 is different.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is a little platoon of 25 Rems made from 30-30 brass. Piece of cake.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I see 30 Rem. for sale from time to time and 35 rem also..You can size them down in a 25 REm file trim die btw. If you can find some 35 Rem cases then you can run them through a 30 Rem file trim die then a 25 file trim die.

Ray, perhaps you meant .32 Remington, which is the same head size as .30 and .25 Rem, rather than .35 Rem which has a somewhat larger head?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be theoretically possible to turn down the rim and turn an extraction groove into the head of .30/30 brass to create a .25 Remington cartridge. But that would take some specialized machinery and a bit of machinist skill to accomplish.

I see you have both the machinery and the skill, dpcd. Nice job.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to order some brass. 25 Remington

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Stone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did mean 32 Rem, it was a typo..The 35 is bigger overall as I recall. I love that Rem mod 14 and the 8 in 25 Rem...At one time the US Border patrol issued the Rem 8 in 25 caliber, a jewel of wisdom known by few! old beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Grumpa at cast boolits might be able to help you.He has made .25 and .30 Rem. to sell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone I have some coming my way.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote