Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby w/180 gr TTSX pressure question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm been working up some loads for my Mauser M03. Basically tried combos of 180 gr Sciroccos and 180 gr TTSX with 7828 SSC, MRP, and RL-25. Only the TTSX and MRP worked well. In fact, seating depths from 3.50 to 3.615' with varying loads all produced about the same size groups - roughly 1". My best load is .75" group at 3.56" COL and 83.5 gr MRP at 3,255 fps.

My question is around the pressure. Quickload says this is a 70K+ PSI load, yet:

1. The case, primer, and bolt handle lift showed no signs of pressures. Trust me, my 84.5 gr of 7828SSC with the Sciroccos at 3.629" was high pressure with hard bolt lift, brass flow, flattened primers, and shots everywhere.

2. It's the most accurate load

3. It's in the 83-84 gr range that Norma lists for a variety of 180 gr bullets as max load.

4. I've been doing these loads in 95 degree heat and direct sunlight

5. Quickload is way off on 375 H&H pressure loads from my experience

Any reason I shouldn't trust this load?

Anyone loading in this range?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any 180 grain TTSX traveling at 3300 fps will handle anything you'd care to shoot with it and I would think think you could take out an elephant brain or buff's heart with that bullet also...why don't you just take a grain or two out if your feeling uneasy about the pressure, I hardly think any animas vitals will notice the difference...

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
My question is around the pressure. Quickload says this is a 70K+ PSI load, yet:

1. The case, primer, and bolt handle lift showed no signs of pressures. Trust me, my 84.5 gr of 7828SSC with the Sciroccos at 3.629" was high pressure with hard bolt lift, brass flow, flattened primers, and shots everywhere.

2. It's the most accurate load

3. It's in the 83-84 gr range that Norma lists for a variety of 180 gr bullets as max load.

4. I've been doing these loads in 95 degree heat and direct sunlight

5. Quickload is way off on 375 H&H pressure loads from my experience

Any reason I shouldn't trust this load?

It sounds like you have a good load. I would trust it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I agree. Regardless of Quickload's estimate, it appears to be safe in your rifle and brass from your observations. It might not be on a hot summer afternoon in the desert.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
I agree. Regardless of Quickload's estimate, it appears to be safe in your rifle and brass from your observations. It might not be on a hot summer afternoon in the desert.

The only place I've hunted hotter has been an August Oryx hunt in New Mexico - dang it was hot.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote