THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baffle for Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rook49
posted
My Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measures do a great job but I do have to keep the hoppers close to full to get really consistent powder drops. I decided to try using a baffle that takes the weight of the powder instead of the bottom of the hopper on the charge bar. I've only tried it once with CFE223 powder but so far I'm getting consistent drops whether it's full or near empty.

I was loading using double disks yesterday with two .82 holes stacked which with CFE223 it drops a little over 25 grains of powder which I'm using as a starting load for some .223 rounds. After getting the powder settled down I recorded my first 13 loads and spot checked the rest and they were pretty consistent. My Amston electronic scales will measure grains in the hundredths.
25.22 Grains
25.20 "
25.24 "
25.20 "
25.24 "
25.28 "
25.32 "
25.26 "
25.26 "
25.32 "
25.26 "
25.22 "
25.28 "
I spot checked after this and continued to get drops between 25.22 to 25.28 down to where the hopper was approx. 3/4 empty before I started getting some lighter loads.

I found the baffles on E-bay that somebody has done a pretty good job making. They fit the Lee round hoppers perfectly. I got 2 of them for $9.99 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262825...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posts: 32 | Location: Hampton, GA | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
What degree of variability did you have without the baffles?

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rook49
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
What degree of variability did you have without the baffles?

As long as I keep the hopper full the variation was about the same. It's when the hopper gets down below three quarters full is when the drops start to vary more and that's where the baffel works.

Posts: 32 | Location: Hampton, GA | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 55 measure. It does very well with out a baffle but I did make one. I have health issues and have a lot of empty pill bottles around. I found one that is a slip fit into the hopper. Cut it off about an inch long, drilled two 1/4 inch holes near the outside edge opposite from each other. This helps keep weights more even.
I suggest trying to make one before buying one.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rook49
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 44magLeo:
I have a Lyman 55 measure. It does very well with out a baffle but I did make one. I have health issues and have a lot of empty pill bottles around. I found one that is a slip fit into the hopper. Cut it off about an inch long, drilled two 1/4 inch holes near the outside edge opposite from each other. This helps keep weights more even.
I suggest trying to make one before buying one.
Leo

Why didn't you try making a powder measure instead of buying the Lyman?