New
Find
Notify
Tools

terminal balistics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In which way the looks of a bullet recovered from game is illustrative of the damage it did?

By looking at any recovered bullet we may see what the animal did to the bullet, but is correlated to tissue destruction?

Does picture perfect expansion is picture perfect killing efficiency?

Last Saturday, in early morniong, with the help of my bayerische gebirgschweisshund (bavarian mountain scent dog) I retrieved a very large wild boar which had been shot on Friday evening by one of my hunting pals.

Shot low in the chest the boar managed to travel some distance. at first, the blood from the wound was very obvious, but later on, once the boar had found thick cover, not a single droplet of blood could be found.

"Polka" found the boar, fortunately a dead boar already, and seeing that the bullet had not gone through I looked for it and eventually found it.

It was a picture perfect mushroom but it did not produce much damage and the boar run away in spite of the well placed shot and the fact that it was completely unaware of the hunter at that time.

I do not think it wols have been found without the help of a scent dog.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
What kind of bullet? Caliber? Velocity?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was a RWS factory load with a 165gr KS bullet...

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry, catridge was 30.06

montero

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Puzzling, to say the least. Unless the distance of the shot was extraordinary, that boar absorbed all the energy that bullet carried. Somewhere in the process, energy was absorbed. Usually, this happens when bullets hit heavy bone. In this case, perhaps the gristle covering on the boar? FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, the bullet hit broadside low in the chest and did not touch the grizzle which is further up. It did some slight damage to the inner side of the sternum, clipped the bottom of the heart and was found on the muscles of the opposite shoulder...
montero