THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need Thoughts on Whitetail load for 300 Win Mag.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Thoughts on Whitetail load for 300 Win Mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
Okay, I know the 300 Win Mag is a bit much for white tails especially here in Texas, but I've heard so much about the versatility of this cartridge that I want to give it a try.

What do you think about a 150 gr Nosler BT?

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 150 BT at 300 mag velocities sounds like lots of damaged meat. Sounds more like a bomb. 180gr Nosler Partitions and 75 to 76gr of RL-22 will do the trick.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I just shot a mulie buck with the TSX 180gr. I have notskun the deer yet but I suspect the damage won't be too bad.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I'm with ELKMAN on this one, the TSX bullets do a lot less meat damage than ballistic tips. I shot an Elk with a 180 gr TSX out of a 300 win mag last year and you could literally eat right up to the hole. Besides the 150 gr bullet would probably get pretty squirrelly out of a 300 win mag and it would have very little sectional density for penetration.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use a Hornady 165gr BTSP. If you need/want a premium bullet, then I would opt for the TSX.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use whatever components shoot well. Then, don't shoot it in the meat. A broadside rib shot low in the chest won't damage much meat worth eating.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 75 to 78 gr of H 1000 with 180 gr Hornady RN for 2700 fps, kills great and low recoil.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personaly like the nosler 150grain accubond and 76 gr.of RL 22 .Just slew a 165 inch mulie with this combo last tue. One shot tight behind shoulder about 160 yds . It did a nice job . Quarter size exit hole .Used a rem.sendero with heavy varmiter barrel in .300 win mag.
Recoil is minimal useing the 150 gr. bullet and the accuracy is amazing
Wayles

Posts: 57 | Location: western nebraska | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are right about using an all-copper bullet to reduce meat damage. I just inventoried the 30 cal ammo box and found a box of Barnes 165gr X bullets and a box of Barnes 180gr Triple Shocks. I have heard so much good about the TSX bullets that I think I will work up a load. For powders, I have RL-22 and H4831.

I'm leaning towards the RL-22. Now I just have to find some load data. My Barnes 3 book doesn't have the TSX data

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm running 168 gr TSX's and 75.5 gr of reloder 22. I pretty much shoot it at everything. Works great on whitetails, if you are worried about meat shot them in the ribs, get the hide off fast and just scrape away the jellied blood.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
If you want to go fast/light for calibre then the bullet is going to have to be premium ie well constructed bullet that wont mushroom too easily barnes TSX are great.
I prefer to use a std protected point bullet heavy for calibre (Speer magtip)at moderate velocity which is the other way to control expansion. Even when shot through the shoulder the meat danage by the primary abnd secondary projectlies is minimal. Also penetration is better IMHO.

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesturday I was shooting the Nosler 180grn balistic tips in my 300 wby. I preformed a perfect broadside shot at a range of 145yds impact velocity of appx 2800 FPS. Textbook shoulder heart lung shot on about a 150lb doe. Luckily this deer dropped dead on the spot because there would have been NO blood trail to follow.

The bullet went through one shoulder and appearnetly disintigrated in the chest cavity, There was nothing that even resembled a heart or lungs in the chest.

While I like the way the B-tips anchor whitetail I'm just not comfortable relying aboun this happening every time. Last year I shot a buck with the 168grn B-tip with the same results as above, so this year I stepped up to the elligedly tougher 180grn projectile. But got the same result as before

I'm now of the opinion that the ballistic tips are fine for STD non magnum chamberings but in the big boomers they are best reguarded as varmint bullets.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd move up to a 165 or 180 with a standard or BT bullet. If you get a partition or tsx the 150's will work.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
For white tails and other Texas game I've been shooting 130 gr Barnes BT X bullets in my 300 Win with a lot of success. I figured that if a 130 gr .270 @ 3100 was good, a 130 gr .308 at 3600 was better and so far I haven't been disapointed. I just bought my first batch of TSX 130 gr bullets and expect to be just as pleased or more so.

All have been head or neck shots so meat damage hasn't been an issue.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
Myself I like the barnes x bullets.
I switched over to the TSX last year in my 308 and I like them alot. I have used the ballistic tip bullets in the past but I do not like the way they explode on something I am going to eat. Way too much damage and fragments. For a varmint round they are great but I prefer to not use them on game. If you are worried about meat damage go heavy and slow. The faster light bullets burst more blood vessels upon entry and leave more bood shot meat. I use my 308 some but for saving meat I use my 45/70's. 350's a 2200 fps don't damage as much meat as 150's at 2800.

JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I use my 300WM for all of my big game hunting in Alberta...unless I pack my 270WSM. For the 300WM I shoot 180gr Accubonds reloaded with RL-22. I have some 150gr Accubonds to try and will reload some a try on whitetails for next season. So my suggestion is the 150gr Accubonds. The TSX are great also. I reloaded some 200gr for moose and elk, but I just like the performance of the 180 Accubond so I am using them for this season.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, gents. I got into the reloading hobby in a big way several years ago but haven't stood in front of the bench in about 18 months now. I've realized that I'm probably better off finding one pet load for each caliber and sticking to it. So, I think I'm going to go on a quest for the perfect TSX load for the 270 and 300WM for now. I just can't find much bad feedback on the TSX other than of course it's so expensive, but given the small amount I shoot it's probably worth it. Thanks again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything will work on deer, but the ballistic tip in a .300 would be dead last. It will kill, but destroy half the deer in the process.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slatts:
Okay, I know the 300 Win Mag is a bit much for white tails especially here in Texas, but I've heard so much about the versatility of this cartridge that I want to give it a try.

What do you think about a 150 gr Nosler BT?
Most any 150 will do nicely...if you back off the velocity to ~2700 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The heavier the bullet, the less meat damage...

I agree with Terry Blauwkamp above,

180 grain RN with a charge of 75 to 80 grains of H 1000....

For myself, I up that to a 220 grain RN, with a stiff charge of 83 grains of H 1000... work up, as it is a little over reload manual max load..but it has never shown pressure signs in my Browning A Bolt...

MV is 2950 or so out of a 26 inch barrel..... and even for a round nose... in open country, it is surprising how flat shooting that combo is...that is a lot of velocity and a heavy weight bullet for calibre.....so it is pretty darn flat shooting...

with a 220 grain RN or Partition, you won't find much meat damage at all, regardless of close range or long...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
47-48 of RE7 worked great in my 300 win mag. It did 2650-2700 with 150 grainers. That's 308 speed (and cost) for reloading. Also 56.5 RE12 did 2710 with 150's. 72.3 re 19 (Imay have a slow lot of powder) did 2877 with a 180 accubond and shot great.
Also go to the hodgdon website and check out "youth loads" I'll bet you find a load with H4895 much like the RE12 load above.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 to 40 grains of SR 4759 also make a good lighter load with the 300 Mag... thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've yet to have a chance to try it out on game, but I've had great luck with Sierra 220 grain RN in front of 63 grains of IMR 4350 as far as accuracy and consistency are concerned.

To wayles: I WANT THAT GUN!