THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Softest standard rifle primer?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
When I reload pistol ammo I pay attention to the hardness of primers because some pistols that have trigger work will not set off the hard primers. I've found that Federal and Win make soft pistol primers w/ federal being the softer of the two.

Now, I have a rifle that has a pretty weak spring and occasionally misfires w/ Win primers, the firing pin stikes the primer every time it just doesn't hit it hard enough on occasion.

What do you think is the softest?

Federal 210s? CCI LRs? Rem?

I think it would be Federal but, I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
What do you think is the softest?
Reloader

Reloader, I agree with you on pistol primers with Federal being softer, especially small pistol.

A while back I would have said the Federal rifle primers were as well but my later lots seem to be tougher cups now. This could be a lot to lot difference I don't know. Winchester large rifle seem to be the softest of those I have on hand now.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
Hi reloader.I only load rifels but i would say the cci's are the hardest then fed then win.From my experiences that is what i thank hope this helps.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote