New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 147 gr. .308 FMJBT inquiry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You are right in that the groups are about 2 to 2 1/2" @ 100 yds. shot from a bench. What is (was) sort of remarkable is that I would shoot 3 or 4 rounds that would either touch or cloverleaf -- then, the next shot may be 1 1/2" away in the 3 o'clock position, etc. Next shot may be 2" low in the 6 o'clock position and so on. No consistentcy in the shot patterns with any of the four powders. Best group was with 43 gr. of 3031. I hand weighed each powder charge but I did not weigh and seperate the bullets or brass. I bought the bullets to plink so I'm not dissapointed. Thanks for the suggestions on the loads/powders. I'll try them this weekend.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try using a Lee factory crimp die with those bullets. You may be pleasantly surprised about how your groups then look. There are a ton of good powders. Many of them were originally developed for (drum roll please) loading 147 grain bullets in 7.62x51 brass for military use. 4064 is good as was mentioned above by my esteemed colleague. Also BL-C2, RL-15, Varget, TAC, 4895, and on and on.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee factory crimp die with all my loads. Also, I use the Lee case trimmer chucked-up in an electric drill. All the primer pockets are uniformed using a Sinclair uniformer. I've found that a small amount of extra effort during case prep goes a long way towards excellent loads. As far as the 147 gr. Milsurp bullets -- as mentined in my original post -- lack a sufficent bearing surface to properly stabilize the bullet. My guess is they were designed for automatic weapons. Lack of bearing surface reduces bore friction. I've also noticed these bullets may be designed with a looser tolerance (smaller diameter) for the same reason. This will become obvious during the crimping stage. As any serious handloader knows, we develop our best loads by experimenting with various components as opposed to loading the same specs and getting the same results. To me, this is the essence of handloading. The 147 gr. may be one load in the logbook with a negative review, but I still have about 100 rds. to go. Time and experience will tell. That's the fun part!

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote