New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with Swift Manual?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ordered some 150 Gr. A-Frames and I am working a load for my son's 270 WSM. I was wondering what Powder, Brass , and Primer Swift used?

Thanks,

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one. Here is the pop for the 270 WSM and the 150 gr. A-Frame bullet.

Case: Winchester
Primer: WLRM
Test Barrel: Wiseman
Barrel Length: 24"
Barrel Twist: 1-10"

Powders they list: H-1000, H-4350, H-4831, RL-19, RL-22, RL-25, IMR-4350, IMR-4831, IMR-7828.

Let me know if you want the starting and maximum loads listed for a specific powder. They state that IMR-4831 had the lowest standard deviation on velocity. Maximum loads yielded velocities ranging from a low of 2985 fps to a high of 3075 fps. Hope this helps.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will order a manual with my next order to Midway. Do they show a most accurate?
If so I would like the max of it, the H-1000, RL25, and IMR-4350. Thoose are my favorite powders.

Thanks again,
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, they don't list a most accurate.

Max loads: 67.0 gr. H-1000 2996 fps
67.5 gr. RL-25 3075 fps
57.5 gr. IMR-4350 2989 fps

I really like their manual. Hope this helps in your loading development.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tradewinds,

Just a note on my experiences using the data from the Swift manual-I’ve found their loads overall to be about 5-8% lighter than you will find in most of the other manuals. While I have yet to actually load any Swift bullets in any of my cartridges and their composition may dictate these lighter charges, it is just something to keep in mind. I also noted in the new Speer manual #14 that they list specific load data for the Trophy Bonder Bear Claw/Sledgehammer line that is a bit lighter than the standard Speer bullets. Just FYI, as always start low and work up in your particular rifle. Good luck.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a note on my experiences using the data from the Swift manual-I’ve found their loads overall to be about 5-8% lighter than you will find in most of the other manuals. While I have yet to actually load any Swift bullets in any of my cartridges and their composition may dictate these lighter charges, it is just something to keep in mind. I also noted in the new Speer manual #14 that they list specific load data for the Trophy Bonder Bear Claw/Sledgehammer line that is a bit lighter than the standard Speer bullets. Just FYI, as always start low and work up in your particular rifle. Good luck.

This is certainly true but may be due to the hardness of these bullets. Ballistic Tips they are not. Exceed these loads cautiously.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote