impact velocity 2,820
penetration 8 inches
37 grains

Accubond
wet phone book
impact velocity 3,150
penetration 11 inches
97 grains

I've been using Ballistic Tips in my -06 since they first came out in the early 80s and have killed a bunch of deer with them. When deer are punched in the lungs with them they have always went straight down. When hit from extreme ranges the bullet mushroomed perfectly in the two I have recovered. However, at close ranges they have blown most of the off-side shoulder off.

I recently swithed to VV N150 powder and got some amazing velocity, so I decided I needed a tougher bullet. I went with the Accubond because, same as the BT, they shoot itty-bitty groups.

We'll see how they work on deer in a few days.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Your accubonds look like the few I've recovered from game.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Myu exact observation from wetpack testing. The NBT much above 2700fps impact vel. tend to fragment. I prefer teh NP or NAB for all around hunting. For shots I know are going to be beyond 250yds or so, the NBT will certainly get it done.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of AB. Killed many a deer close range and a bit out with 25, 270, 30 cals.

Taking 200gr AB in 30-06AI for a NorthWest Territories bear hunt May 2010. My rifle loves these!!!

I do wish Nosler made the 200gr BT's!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
3100 fps with a 150 gr. 30 caliber bullet will be plenty for deer whatever the bullet.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always like to see intel like that.
Thanks for the share! The Accubond is my curent favorite bullet.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Great report.
I'm curious about how you get 3150 from a 30-06. Is it the N150 to which you referred?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
Great report.
I'm curious about how you get 3150 from a 30-06. Is it the N150 to which you referred?

Yep. Then after the fact I found out VV lowered their max load by nearly 8 full grains. I only get away with it because the throat in my rifle is completely eroded away for at least 3 inches.
Lot's of freebore.

Odd thing is it still shoots several different loads into one ragged hole.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor D:
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
Great report.

Yep. Then after the fact I found out VV lowered their max load by nearly 8 full grains. I only get away with it because the throat in my rifle is completely eroded away for at least 3 inches.
Lot's of freebore.

Odd thing is it still shoots several different loads into one ragged hole.
I have a rifle (.264 WIN) with a similarly eroded thoat. It takes about two more grains of the same powder to reach the same velocity as when new, and it also shoots the same small groups as when new. I've always felt that people throw away barrels long before their useful life is over.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I, too, like the 150 Accubond. I load mine to 3000 fps. I shot a mule deer buck in Wyoming last month at 200 yards with complete penetration. He only went about 20 yards, unfortunately it was further uphill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doctor D, Nice report.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote