Find
Notify
Tools

300 Ultra Mag Data
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted
Does anybody have any data with heavy (175Gr +) Sierra Matchkings or Bergers of like weight. I have a 28 inch Hart barreled Rem 700 that shoots 180Gr. Partitions well all day long with Retumbo and Reloader 25 but I want some long range target loads to play with in the off season. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to RL-22 to get away from compressed loads. I use 180 grain Scirocco's on top of 91.5 grains of RL-22. Out of a clean barrel I can hold the ten ring at 300 yards. This is a near max load so reduce and build up slowly. I always use Fed 215 primers and match prep the cases.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I switched to RL-22 to get away from compressed loads

I use r-25 behind 180gr bullets and none have been a compressed load.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I load for three different people that have 300 ultras. Two are on 700 actions and one is on a model 70 and all have 28" Christenson Arms carbonfibre wrapped barrels. One has settled on 95grs. of RL25 under a Nosler 200 gr. Accubond and the other two are shooting 92.5grs. of Retumbo with Sierra 240 MKs. Both of these loads worked well here in AZ. at 5500 ft and developed at about 60 to 70 degrees temp. All three of these guy's are in Mexico right now and in 80 to 90 degree weather they are having slight pressure problems. Nothing serious but these loads are definitely border line "hot"
All are using R-P brass and 215 match primers.
The guy shooting the accubonds and RE25 is a guide down there and from reports I have gotten back is that his rifle has killed three monster mule deer at extreme range. I don't know how extreme but here this particular rifle was shooting under 1/2 moa. I never got a chance to chronograph the Nosler load but the Sierra MKs were just under 3100 10' from the muzzle as measured with an Oehler 35P. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
I've only had my Sendero for a month or two but I have had time to try a few loads.

Mine will one hole with 90gr IMR 7828 and a 175gr SMK. I haven't had it over the chrony yet but I am willing to bet it's fast.

H-1000 was a so-so powder for me. I have tried it with Sierra GK's , Speer BTSP's and Sierra MK's. I was getting inch groups at 100 but nothing as tight as the 7828.

I have also tried RL-25. I am determined to get this powder to work as I think it's probably optimal for this cartrige. I have loaded it up behind some Swift Sirocco's for this weekends shooting. I will let you know how it goes.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 220 matchking for my long range load. I use 89.3 grains retumbo under it, then I also have had good luck with the berger 210 with around 92-93 grains retumbo. The gun is a blueprinted 700 with a 28" lilja.

Posts: 8 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Waffen:
H-1000 was a so-so powder for me. I have tried it with Sierra GK's , Speer BTSP's and Sierra MK's. I was getting inch groups at 100 but nothing as tight as the 7828.

Waffen,
I had same experience with H-1000. So far the retumbo is working best with the heavy bullets but I would like to try some 7828. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

how do you go with the Rem brass I am getting ejector marks with 92 gr of Retumbo (In Oz it's AR2225) behind the 200 gr accubond.................this would not seem to be a hot load ??

I have an accurate load at 83 gr of retumbo behind the 200 gr accubond but thats damn mile I would think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote