Those who have a lot of experience using the above

Do you start jam, jump or touch ?

I sense jump since it is a hunting rifle but by how much

It's a single shot hunting rifle in 6.5x55 So OAL is not an issue

Care to share a load ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I jump about .010" - if I can get close enough to the lands. Exactly how much jump will shoot best, you'll have to experiment to establish.

I never touch because bullet ogives vary, and if you attempt to touch, likely some bullets will be off and some will be jammed.

I never jam, because my range requires us to remove loaded rounds from our chambers from time to time. It is a pain in the posterior when you do so to find your action and magazine full of propellant. When hunting even more so...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If you have a normal 6.5x55 chamber you won`t be able to come close to touching the lands with a 120gr BT. The chambers are designed for 150-160 gr RN nose bullets and are a mile long.
That said I`ve had a couple custom chambered Swede`s and found there is no one given spot that seemed to work in all rifles. One actually liked ~ 0.07" jump best and all have wanted a little jump.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my 6.5x55 built for that exact bullet so that I could seat the bullet to the base of the neck on the case, or thereabouts, as opposed to the mile long leade. Mine likes a .03" jump, but you will have to experiment to find yours.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
If you have a normal 6.5x55 chamber you won`t be able to come close to touching the lands with a 120gr BT. The chambers are designed for 150-160 gr RN nose bullets and are a mile long.
That said I`ve had a couple custom chambered Swede`s and found there is no one given spot that seemed to work in all rifles. One actually liked ~ 0.07" jump best and all have wanted a little jump.

Hit the nail on the head. What is your rifle?

The 120 gr Nos BT is a very accurate bullet in thew 6.5X55. My former Sako would do one hole groups at 100 meters with 5 shots. Some people tend to get carried away & try for too much velocity. 3000 fps is max and I found VV N160 & H4350 worked best. If you went to the 130 gr Accubond at 2900 fps, you could take anything that a 270Win would. My favourite was the 125gr Partition.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11201 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can touch the lands with the 6.5 x 55 so I don't know what some of you are talking about..

I normally run it to magazine length...In commercial actions I have the rifle throated exactly to where it can be magazine length...

IN the Carl Gustav Mauser, I barely even seat it in the case, and it is just touching the lands...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
OK thanks for the input guys

I have a Blaser K95 in 6.5 x 55 factory chamber

I have been shooting it for 05 years without issues.

I have been playing around with ballistics programs recently and wonder if I can shoot a lower weight with a flatter trajectory

For me I would love to have a flatter traj to 300m - which is my personal limit on this rifle and european game

I have been loading 140 VLD for the past five years and due to the action I can seat it right out and it shoots great when jammed 0.1

06 months ago I experiented with Reloader 17 and it boosted my mv from 2550 with tight ES to 2750 with similarly tight ES without pressure signs

In view of this I wonder if I go down to 120 then I might hit the magically 3000 or more using reloader 17

If thats the case I really have a kill zone around 320 metres with a 200 yard zero

I will be able to sell more rifles and clear my cabinet.

I plan to cull 27 rifles down to 3 rifles in all for all forms of hunting.

Yes I agree it is not possible to jam a short 120 Nosler Ballistic tip in a factory chamber for 156 grain bullet.

I like the caliber so much I am willing to commission a custom barrel for my K95 throated for this purpose only

SO bottom line is

120 NBT will suffice for 99% of antelope I encounter in what I call practice hunts

using reloader 17 to gain MV without pressure

relatively less flip less recoil

and less gun in the cabinet

Thanks guys

I hope you follow my train of thoughts and reasoning

I actually called Nosler last night in the states and manage to speak to one of their technicians

Bottomline is there is a range of velocity that it will expand and deform and if one is really savy one can load to a specific velocity of obtain a certain type of deformity for a particular end result of penetration. How cool is that

He was most helpful and will email me research and experiemental data which they have and not published on their site.

With permission I might share it here once received

posted Hide Post
Hi there. I have a K95- 6,5x55 as well. Wonderful gun, a dream come true.
The 120 Ballistic tip works very well for me, very accurate and good bc. It can bee a bit "brutal" on relatively short range/high vel. and probably not the best choice on (eatable) small game.
OAL : 78,60mm/ 3.055", gives the neck aprox. 5,7mm "grip" of the bullet. Lapua cases and 50 gr. of a local variant of the Bofors RP5- "NC-100",(should be quite similar to the Rotweil 905.)
2900fps , very effective.
3000fps might be possible. Maybee an even slower powder? Norma MRP? Or Vithavouri N560? Have you looked at Vithavori loading data for 6,5x55 SE/Skan (380MPa)?
I think the Blaser barrel offers quite good speed, I chrono'ed some factory Lapua 7gram/108gr Silver Scenar; 920m/sec on the box, 900m/sec. said the Chronograph.
Also tried some ammo made by Nammo-Lapua OY specially made for sport-shooters: "Raufoss Felt", featuring a Sierra 123gr. HPBT at 920m/sek (740mm barrel) Have not chronographed that one yet, have been guessing cirka 880m/sec. from the 610mm K95-barrel.
Very accurate and a great round for long range and "windy"-days.

Posts: 10 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Howdie cowboy !

So I have a twin distant cousin in Scandinavia then ,

I have tried vit 160 , h4350 , varget, reloader 17

They all work with 140 vld berger

Thanks for info about 120 nbt

I am confident to get 3000 and more with accuracy

Will update

One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
For Nosler 120 BT I have had great results with MRP/RL22 50-51 grs. Very accurate and right at 2800 fps from my little T3 lite. Also have great accuracy with the 140's with MRP. Recently tried 140 accubonds and tested loads at 46/47/48 grs all 3 shot right at .5" for 3 shot groups, pretty amazing to have such a large change in charges to have so little effect in accuracy.

3-7-77