Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 7400 C.O.L.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello
I have just started loading rounds for a 7400 so this is new ground for me..
Recently I losded up some 180gr Winchester Power Points with Win brass and primers and crimped into the cannelure with a Lee factory crimp die. Load was 49.0grs of IMR4064. I used standard RCBS dies and this worked out very well.

I'm going to load up some 30/06 rounds with 180gr Balistic Tips for a 7400, for no particular purpose, just something to shoot, and was wondering about some things;

I won't have access to the rifle until I start loading so I was wondering if anyone has loaded this combination and what C.O.L. was used, or what parameter would work.

Are 7400 chambers/throats, specifically distance to rifling, fairly consistent from rifle to rifle?

Are there any problems loading bullets without cannelures and crimp in a 7400?

Or,.. Does anyone have any Federal '06 165gr Balistic Tip factory rounds layin around and could give me the C.O.L. of those?

Just tryin to save a little time here..

Thanks much..

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
As long as you keep the oal around 3.30" you will be ok
I have loaded 270 with out a cannalure and crimped without too much accuracy problems but it will affect it some.
the only other thing you might run into with the 7400 is standard dies may not resize enough for the action to function all the time. I use small base dies for the 7400. this helped to eliminate jams also keep the chamber clean.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action will chamber a cartridge that fits into the magazine so seat your bullets to no longer than that length and you'll be OK. At least that's the way it works for my model 7600 35 Whelen.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE issues on the 7400Remington are first

Does the round fit in the magazine?

and second... After a round is chambered can you open the bolt without a hammer and block of wood?

On my 7400 it has a VERY tight chamber.
It was one of the first ones made after remington switched to hammer forged barrels where the chamber shape was part of the forging mandrel... and it was a tad undersized and aparrently on a batch of rifles made at about the same time mine was they forgot to finish ream the chamber.... a slight "oops"

Most factory ammunition if chambered cannot be cleared except by shooting it out.

Reloaded ammo must be resized in an XSB sizing die

I tolerate it because I can put five 165grain Noslers into less than 1-1/4" (I don't believe I've ever failed to make it under 1.75") off the bench just about as fast as I can find a new sight picture and squeeze the trigger...

And I've shot enough sub 1.25" groups as "flukes" to know it isn't a fluke.

Or five shots offhand onto a group that I can cover with a coffee cup at 200yards. (it makes plinking soda cans at 200-250yards so easy as to be boring)

And for what I got that rifle for that is spectacularly more than good enough...

I've long "believed" that while perfect is the enemy of "good enough", that if you find "perfect" you take pains to not screw around with it.

I strongly recommend a 165grain bullet of your choice
and 48-49 (or slightly more) grains of IMR4064

BTW, if you want to "see the dragon sneeze" load a few rounds with a middle of the page load of IMR4831 and a 180gr bullet and have someone else shoot them at night while you watch them from about 8feet to the side....

Remingtons vent incandescent gas upwards out of the hand guard... seeing just where this happens will teach you where to NOT have your hands when firing.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imformative replies.. Thanks Smiler

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote