Find
Notify
Tools

Well, this is a first.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Anyone ever get a bad batch of Norma ammo?
I just shot my last 10 (of 40) factory 156 grain Norma Oryx 7X57 soft points to fire-form the brass for some "neck sized" reloads and the tenth shot (far right) didn't even have a recoil. The report was very soft and more of a puff sound through the ear protection.
Upon closer inspection, the brass all looks fine. The "puffer" showed distortion in the primer as did the third to last shot (third from right) that wasn't quite as distorted. That one may have had a softer recoil. But, I can't say for sure.
Seems like a rare occurrence. What's your experience with Norma ammo?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I use plenty of Norma cases and bullets without complaints whatsoever. However, the only misfire I ever experienced while hunting occurred with a Norma factory 9,3x74R round. I fired at a trotting wild boar and the dead "click" of the firing pin hitting the primer made the animal turn away at a high run. After the hunt, I tried the dud round a second time and it fired ok. I suspect a primer not seated deep enough and that the first percussion pushed to the bottom of the primer pocket ...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It factory ammo made by the millions most of the time they get it very right. but with ay thing some times things happen. you can be glad it happened on the range.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I had a 20 round box of new Norma 6.5 x 55 ammo that about half of cases split the necks on the first firing. This was about 10 years ago though.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just getting the Norma ammo is more rare.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good point p dog shooter. I felt very fortunate it happened on the range. Thanks for the input everyone. Time to reload a few.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Squib load.

Did you look through the bore and check for a lodged bullet?

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for putting a term (squib) to this bad load WoodHunter.
Yes. I checked the barrel as soon as I removed the spent case which came out easily and saw nuthin' but daylight except for a couple pieces of turd-like remnants of powder 1/3 of the way out. One of the turds was several lengths longer than a grain of powder. My inclination is that there was a "clumping" or improperly cut issue with the powder which would explain a light charge, the long powder remnant and consequently, the slightly bulged primer. I also checked the primer pocket and there were no signs of gases leaking past it, just a slight bulge on the primer face.