New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap bullets Win or Rem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to buy some cheap bullets from Midway for plinking in my .243. Remington and Winchester both offer bullets for around $8 for a 100. I don't expect these to be the "best" bullets in the world. I would like them to be adequate for 100 yards. Has anyone used these bullets? In general which gave you the best accuracy for the price.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thiking it's the luck of the draw. I bought a bunch of Winchester bulk bullets. The 55 gr. .224" are quite accurate, the 150 gr. .308" shoot quite well, but the 150 gr. .284" bullet seem to be plain shit. There was as much as a 3 gr. variance in the weight and they shot poorly in three 7x57 rifles and in a .280 Rem.
It's been years since I shot any of the Remington bulk bullets, and those were .243". They shot reasonably well for me. I can't say as to how well they'll shoot today.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found Remington and Winchester bulk bullets to be very inconsistent, but my experience is limited to .224" bullets. The cannelures tend to fall at a different place from bullet to bullet, and the noses have differing amounts of exposed lead. Neither I nor a good friend could get the 55 gr Win SP to shoot reasonably in any of a dozen guns we tried. Experience with the Rem is similar.

Now, as Paul stated, it's kinda the luck of the draw. Bullet making dies wear. The bulk manufacturers try to get a lot of mileage out of their dies, for obvious reasons. If the tooling for a certain bullet has recently been replaced, you may have pretty good luck with it. If the tooling is on it's last legs, then the bullets may be one grade above trash.

I know of no way to anticipate what you'll be getting, so I stick with the bullet manufacturers who specialize in sales to handloaders -- they can't afford to sell trash or they would soon be out of business.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
The Rem. 100gr CL are outstanding + there great hunting bullets.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a M700 in 6mm Rem that shot factory Rem 80 gr HPs into literally one hole.

Of course they discontinued it, probably 10 or 15 years ago.

I've never found a load better (handload or factory). And oh what it would do to groundhogs! Eeker

I've often been tempted to look for some to use in handloads, but I have such a large supply of BTs I may never get around to it.

And as Hunt-ducks said above, the 100 grain CoreLokt is also a surprisingly good bullet. I shot a whitetail a few years back with a factory loaded 243, and it was one of the most perfect mushrooms I've ever seen. (I still have it somewhere).

For 95% of what a 243 should be used for, they work fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
I used to have a M700 in 6mm Rem that shot factory Rem 80 gr HPs into literally one hole.

Of course they discontinued it, probably 10 or 15 years ago.

I've never found a load better (handload or factory). ..
Hey Cold Bore, Check the normal places (Midway, Graffs, Wideners, etc.) and see if you can't find them again.

They are now called the 80gr PLHP (PLated Hollow Point) and are nearly as accurate as Bench Rest bullets. Plus the price is still very inexpensive as compared to nearly ALL OTHER bullets in a 0.243" size.
---

Have a buddy that is a retired Winchester Rep who has a 6mmRem M70. He uses the 80gr Rem PLHP in it and nothing else. He tells me he has killed well over 30 Mule Deer all with 1-shot kills using that bullet.

So, it is what I'd also recommend to "elkhunter".
---

I use the 50gr Rem PLHPs in my 223Rem as it's normal carry load. It averages in the 8s(6s-10s) using randomly selected bullets from the box and they have worked great on everything I've shot with them.

They are made like the Speer Gold Dots, they start with a formed Lead Core(which is relatively easy to get concentric) and then the Jacket is "PLated" onto the Core.
---

Like all other Bullets, a specific rifle might or might not like them. So I would also recommend buying only a small amount to start with (100-250) and then if they shoot as well in your rifle as they do mine, go right back and load up on them.

Just as Cold Bore said, just because Remington can make an accurate and inexpensive bullet doesn't mean some Management fool won't stop production.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core-

That's a thought.

But what I was actually shooting was factory loaded ammo. It was great stuff!

Remington only loads the PSP now, they discontinued the HP factory loading.

I miss it!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkI use a lot of bulk bullets in.243 of 80 and 100 gr.; Win. Rem. Mid South (whatever they are.)If you are talking hunting accuracy,1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yds they almost always do it.

Scrupulous powder and charge selection will decrease the group size some. I've had the best results with Mid South. Win. and Rem are close to each other but not quite as good. I really can not make any profound comments on variation from batch to batch.

One thing I've found that if you pick some physical feature such as weight, Tip radius or repeatable tip deformation and sort them the repeatability really improves.

On some Rem. 30 cal psp. I sorted 500 by weight and found they ranged fro 147.5gr. to 151.5 gr.Once sorted the group size was almost cut in half.

A group of 80gr. bulk, .243 bullets had a fair % that had a flattened tip with a small wart in the center.( different tooling from the others was my thinking) I picked out 20 of these and got a really nice group. With really good loads of the right bullet this rifle (Ruger Varmint)can hit an existing hole at 50 yds consistantly. sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been very satisfied with Remington bulk bullets, although not in .243, which I don't shoot. They've given me 1-1.5 moa accuracy in about a dozen .25 cal rifles, one 7x57, three .308s, and a .35 Whelen.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
elkhunter

I'd use these.

TNT

Just a little more than you looking to spend but they would serve another shooting purpose where you live for shooting Prairie Dogs and ground squirrels. Don’t you just love shooting those self resetting targets. They are highly accurate.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great success over the years, both on the range and hunting whitetails, using the 100 gr CoreLokt bulk bullet in a .243 Winchester. The 100 gr Winchester PowerPoint bulk slug did not group well in my rifle the one time I tried them but YMMV.

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
i have been using winchester pp 150 grain in the .308 mostly for pigs and there great. better still the price is rite!!
why not grab a bag of 100 and give them a go. it dont cost much to find if you/ your gun like them and then you can get some in bulk
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bulk Corelokts that I have are quite ugly with dents and dings in them. Never the less they shoot pretty well. I shot some deer with the 150 gr 7mm and .308" Corelokts and they performed very well.

I suppose there is a use for them as the price is right. I have sold and shot off most of mine as I am now like plastic tipped meplats and shinny bullets.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think you could beat that price all to hell at a gun show. Just locate the biggest dealer in your area. I get 30's for about 4-5cents in bulk. Just tell him to 'fill this cup'. Usually by the pound.

.224's cost 3 or 4 cents this way. Most times the Rem's are cheapest I've found here in CO.

Sure put a stop to me using the 180gr CoreLokts on elk in 2000. Hit a cow middle height up close behind the ribs at 200yds.

Blew up on the surface, didn't even enter the near lung. But, could see it thru the 2"x9" hole!!

Have since gone to Sierra's BTSP 200gr. Havent' had a shot yet to see how they work. But, at 200 yds, anything should go clear thru one sideways.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote