Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive Presses
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reloading since "74. I have used most of the brands of equipment out there, but do not have a progressive yet. I need the opinions from users of Dillion, RCBS, and Hornaday about there own experiences, good and not so good results. Would you buy it again?

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The company that set the standard for progressive presses both in terms of fabulous customer service and in terms of awsome products is Dillon. Some of the companies are starting to catch up (RCBS). But Dillon was there back in the early 80s when the other companies progressive offerings were literally junk and customer service and guarantees didn't exist.
I've owned progressives from RCBS (Piggyback) and Hornady (Projektor). I bought a Dillon 550 and have never been sorry. Its loaded gazillions do rounds and is as dependable as my Rockchucker! That says a lot...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cet:
I have been reloading since "74. I have used most of the brands of equipment out there, but do not have a progressive yet. I need the opinions from users of Dillion, RCBS, and Hornaday about there own experiences, good and not so good results. Would you buy it again?

Thanks!

I agree with the other post....Dillon sets the standard...I've been using progressives for 25yrs and still have that one and was part of a small reloading supplier for a shooting range and saw a bunch of brass and powder ....I went with Dillon and got two friends to get them after they saw how mine ran and haven't had any problems to get help from Dillon for but they answered questions nicely....love RCBS equipment but haven't tried their new progressive....the Dillon does all that is asked of it.....550B.....haven't heard any "horror" stories about either the RCBS or Hornady and they are great companies....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
I have two Dillon presses, a Square Deal B and a 550B. Both are great presses, although, they don't seem to like CCI primers.

I would suggest the 550B press, it does all calibers, while the Square Deal B does only pistol.

Dillon equipment has a lifetime warranty, and they really mean it. They have replaced several parts for me over the years. Some of these parts were lost in a move, and one was broken though my own stupidity. Even though I offered to pay, they sent me the parts for free. They mean what they say.

I just got my 550B a year ago, but I have loaded 9,000 rounds of .223 through it. Other than cleaning and lubricating it, I have had no problems.

A good idea to pass along.

On my shell holder, I sometimes have a small amount of loose powder accumulate. I take a can of compressed air, the kind used to clean electronics, and blow it out of the mechanism. Since I have a tile floor, it is not a problem, I just clean up the floor after each loading session.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't say enough good things about Dillon. Their monthly mag\catalog is cool. They sell way more than just presses. Customer service is the best.
I've got a Square Deal B and a RL550B. No problems of any kind. They are my first choice.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on what you want to do. To compare apples with apples price wise you would be comparing the Hornady LNL to a Dillon 650. If you want to progressivly load more than a few different cartridges, and some of them are larger than .223, the LNL looks better IMHO. If you're going to load large quantities of just a few different handgun cartridges, the Dillons are excellant and have great customer service. I've been loading for awhile but the only progressive reloading I do is .45 acp. I have an old projector set up just for that so I can just sit down and load a couple of hundred whenever I get the chance. Very little screwing around is needed, although I have replaced a few small springs after maybe 25,000 rounds. I would avoid CCI primers in any progressive as the cups are too inconsistent. I've only loaded on the Hornady and a few Dillons. The Dillons were great presses, but also more complicated than the Hornady. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote