New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington brass--a positive report!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been a remington brass "basher" in the past. Seems like most the brass I've been buying is coming from the supplier in a small cardboard box and is all beat to "heck". Well the other day I got a new .308 and went to one of my supplier catalogs and noticed they now offer bags of 50 like winchester. I thought I'd give them another try.
Well, first impression is they looked nice and clean and NOT beat to heck. I did a light lube of the inside of the mouth and ran them over the sizing ball of my hornady neck sizing die. Didn't resize the neck--just ran the ball through and did a low angle inside debur. I did a sample loading of 10 rounds to start with. I spot checked the neck runnout before loading on 3 pieces of brass and to my surprise they had virtually no runnout. I put together the 10 rounds of bullets. (1) came in at .003" runnout, (3) at .0025", (3) at .0015", and (3) at .001". These were put together with a hornady seating die. So, in general I consider anything under .003" pretty darn good and with an average being under .002" I have to say I'm darn impressed.
Maybe a great seater like a forester or other benchrest seater would have done even better. I guess to make a long story short I'm gonna try more rem brass BUT I will be looking for the stuff in the "50 bags". My thinking is this just might be better grade stuff than ordering and getting some kind of beat up "bulk" stuff!! Just thought I'd share this with you and give Remington their "fair" report!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I'm gonna try more rem brass BUT I will be looking for the stuff in the "50 bags". My thinking is this just might be better grade stuff than ordering and getting some kind of beat up "bulk" stuff!!

I agree. I use Remington brass with no problems or concerns.

But, I'm not sure what you mean by the bagged stuff not being "bulk". I wouldn't think there is any difference in "bagged" or "boxed".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold what he is saying I believe is the 100 round bagged stuff is usually beat to death. Thats my only experience with them. They all have to be resizeded when you get em. Neck thickness usually varies from .013" to .017". So neck turning is a option. Shoulders are beat up.

Kraky glad to hear your success.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YUP--that's what I meant. The stuff I've been getting is pounded to heck and looks like it's been cleaned in some sort of acid wash--got kind of a pink hue to it. This stuff in bags was nice and shiney and not beat up. The bag had nice "remington advertising" and color scheme on it--just seemed totally different. AND the price for 50 was awful close to the same price as the bulk "beat up " stuff.
Definately what I will be looking for in the future.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
The pink hue is from the annealing(sp?). The Remington brass I have bought had a label on it explaining thats what it is. Nothing a little flitz can't take care of.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Kraky, You could always call George at Remington ammo factory, 1-800-243-9700, and ask him if they changed anything about the way the they do their brass.
I guess I've never had any problems with the "boxed" brass, if I do, I give Midway a call and they send me a new piece of brass or two, actually, I've had more problems with Win. brass, in that case I get ahold of them and they send me out a gift certificate for 15 bucks. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been a fan of Remington brass. But when I had my F class rifle built in 260 Rem. 3 years ago they were and still are the only ones that make brass for the 260. I was going to use 243 Lapua brass and neck it up, but when I called Graffs a tech there who is a shooter told me the 243 brass that Lapua was putting out at the time was not good at all. I didn't really want to go the neck down route so I just had them send me 500 pieces out of the same lot of Remington brass. I figured if I was lucky I would get 200 pieces of match quality brass to work with. Was I surprised. It was a great lot of brass. I got three lots of a little over a 100 pieces per lot, and one lot of 78 that were match quality with neck run out of .0015 or less, and with .5 gr of each other with their individual lots sorted by weight. I was very happy with that. There was another lot of 53 pieces that had a neck runout of .002 to .0025 runout and weighed with in 1.5 grain of each other that I saved for load development brass. The remaining pieces I neck turned just a little and use them in my 260 hunting rifle. So yes I was very happy with the Remington brass. I call Graffs back and got 500 more pieces of the same lot and put them away for when I wear out the first batch. So far some of the brass I use in my 260 match rifle has been fire 10 times and no problem with split necks or anything. The rifle is closing hard on 2000 rounds and the brass is going strong. With out a doubt the barrel will be toast before the brass is worn out.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on now! You Remington bashers shouldn't let an opportunity like this pass by. You know that Remington has never made a rifle, nor cartridge nor case that wasn't hammered out with a lead pipe using a rock as an anvil.
I use mostly Remington in bags??/boxes of 100 or more. I doubt that they make one run for bags of 50 and different one for boxes of 500 but as you all know, they have an elf at the end of the production line with a little hammer that dents the necks and shoulders of the cases as they come out. Just ask any user of Winchester brass if you doubt that.

FWIW, if you were to buy some Lapua brass, you would see the same pink shoulders as on the Remingtons.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Come on now! You Remington bashers shouldn't let an opportunity like this pass by. You know that Remington has never made a rifle, nor cartridge nor case that wasn't hammered out with a lead pipe using a rock as an anvil.
I use mostly Remington in bags??/boxes of 100 or more. I doubt that they make one run for bags of 50 and different one for boxes of 500 but as you all know, they have an elf at the end of the production line with a little hammer that dents the necks and shoulders of the cases as they come out. Just ask any user of Winchester brass if you doubt that.

FWIW, if you were to buy some Lapua brass, you would see the same pink shoulders as on the Remingtons.

Those damn elfs! I have been using Remington junk rifles and brass for years, guess some of us don't know any better...

one of us
posted Hide Post
>The stuff I've been getting is pounded to heck and looks like it's been cleaned in some sort of acid wash--got kind of a pink hue to it.<

Yes, most manufacturers wash their brass in an acid pickle to remove the scale left from annealing and other stuff from the mfg. process in general. It does no harm and will polish off. Bulk brass is just that; it is bargain basement stuff that has been minimally processed.

Years ago, you could buy two kinds of brass from Remington: bulk and boxes of 20. The stuff in the boxes of 20 cost a lot more and looked better, too. It did not shoot any better.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is your procedure for checking your brass for runout?
bigbull

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Cold what he is saying I believe is the 100 round bagged stuff is usually beat to death.

Actually, he said "boxed" brass vs "bagged" brass.

"Seems like most the brass I've been buying is coming from the supplier in a small cardboard box and is all beat to "heck".

I guess to make a long story short I'm gonna try more rem brass BUT I will be looking for the stuff in the "50 bags".

My thinking is this just might be better grade stuff than ordering and getting some kind of beat up "bulk" stuff!!"

I just commented that it's the same stuff...

one of us
posted Hide Post
bigbull, you need a concentricity guage. I got one from Sinclair intl. You roll your brass in a v-block and a dial indicator will tell you how "out of round" your neck is in reference with the case body. If its pretty bad out of round, when you load a bullet, your bullet will be worse. So if you roll your completed cartridge on a table you might see the bullet end wobble. So when its fired, it hits the rifleing cockeyed. This deforms your bullet and causes inaccuracy.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore, I don't think it is the same stuff anymore. Last batch of remington brass I got, the shoulders were beat to death with dents and dings. Only 40 pieces of it had neck runout less than .0035" before or after resizing. It was bad. Remington makes some pretty bad ammo, but I don't see all these flaws in loaded ammo. I think alot of this brass we get is flaws from the ammo line.