Find
Notify
Tools

Powder variability
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all,
I need to load up 250 rounds of 308 for a class. They need to be pretty consistent - 1 moa across the lot is my goal, with 3 moa my minimum. I'm using new Winchester brass, and Hornady 168 grain A-Max.

I plan on working up the load using the OCW method.

By my calculations, I'll get approximately 150 rounds per pound of powder. I've used 4064 and Varget in the past, and will probably use one of those two for this.

Questions:
How variable are 4064 and Varget? Do I need to buy an 8lb jug, or can I just buy 2 or 3 smaller cans? Any strong opinion on which powder I should use?

Am I on the right track in terms of components and method?

Thanks,
James

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can, for instance, buy 2 or 3 1lb can, pour all in a bigger container, mix a little, and you will have the very same powder for all your 250 rounds.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my book the large 5 to 8 pound cans are the way to go. You might see if your supplier can get several one pound cans with the same lot numbers. Lot numbers will be on the individual cans. With the combination you suggest of Win brass and 168 A-Max, I would try 43 to 45 grains of Varget.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wildboar - perfect! So obvious, why didn't I think of it before posting?

30378 - yes, I'd prefer to get a large canister, but wow, $160 all at once....
Thanks for the powder level tip!

Thanks,
James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most if not all the cans on your local retailer's store are likely from the same lot. So you might not need to mix the several pound cans together if you find 2 or 3 from the same lot on the self. BUT, that's a great idea.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yiminy:
...30378 - yes, I'd prefer to get a large canister, but wow, $160 all at once....

$160 (120 Euro) is roughly the price of 1 (ONE) 1lb can of IMR or Accurate powder in Italy!! Thankfully Vihtavuori powders are much cheaper....

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I've never used Narget, but have been impressed with the uniformity of a number of the IMR powders over the years. This includes IMRs # 3031, 4064, 4895, and 4350.

But the idea of purchasing an 8-LB canister or two of the same lot for your project sounds like a good idea.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote