Find
Notify
Tools

Molly coated bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted
I'm sure this has gone around before so I hope I'm not opening just a new can of worms. Anyway, I picked up some Sierra molly coated .308 168 BTHP (MK) bullets just for kicks and like the meat head I am, loaded them as I would my standard load without doing my research. It appears that I will lose some velocity and perhaps a little faster fouling according to some people. Other than that, what else can I expect?. Your comments.... bewildered

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you will lose some velocity.

But my experience has been less fouling/ more shooting, before I had to clean.

I switched over to the combined tech bullets that have the lubalox coating on them instead of moly. It doesn't rub off if you happen to put any shells in your pocket.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All else being the same, your reloads will "lose" some velocity.
The fouling issue is where mollied bullets shine. The reduction in fouling allows a lot more rounds down the barrel before needing to be cleaned.
Expect to have some people deride your use of molly.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above, you will greatly extend your barrel life, which it has done for me. You also bump-up the Ballistic Coefficient about 5%.

You still need to clean your barrel. I've found pre-seasoning the barrel after cleaning by running a patch coated with Moly Grease to help the barrel adjust to the Moly Coated Bullets. Then follow with two dry Paper Patches to remove any excess Moly Grease.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
All of you guys are so right! I really did lose a lot of velocity! About 225 FPS. Doesn't seem like much but is really noticeable downrange! Hot Core, your advise will be tried tomorrow, I just got some Kono molly grease and will let you know. All in all I think this may be they way to go. I'm going to increase my powder a bit tonight to make up for the loss and see how it compares side by side. Thanks all....!

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote