New
Find
Notify
Tools

federal primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was about to work up a load for my 204 Ruger. I'm starting with 32gr vmax bullets, and IMR4895, since I have a lot of that powder. The loading data I have suggests 27-29 gr powder over a Federal 205 primer. Federal primers are presently made out of unobtainium.
As I look through my ammo-can-o-primers, I find a few older packages of Federal 200 "small rifle or high velocity pistol" primers. These are at least 10 years old, as the store they were purchased from has been out of business at least that long. Since Federal now says that a 200 is a magnum small pistol primer and a 205 a small rifle primer, I'm wondering if these are about the same thing, since the older 200 package says they are for both uses.
All I can get at Federal is a lot of phone menus, and I guess I don't expect a sraight answer out of them anyway.
I have a large supply of magnum small rifle primers, but I'm not sure how much to reduce my powder charge by.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
always reduce and work up. but since you are working up a load in the first place. start at the min. weight and load in .5 grain steps until you have loaded upto about 1 grain near max. start with the lowest weight rounds and check each lot of ammo for pressure signs and when you shoot the last lot determine wheather you can increase the load.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote