THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need Quickload help, 9.3x62 or velocity estimation.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Quickload help, 9.3x62 or velocity estimation.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I have a load that has been shooting very well in my 9.3x62 and have never chronographed it and curiosity has got the best of me. Any estimates on this loads velocity?
9.3x62
Graf Brass
CCI Large rifle primer
60.5 grains of Ramshot Big Game Powder
285 grain PRVI bullet
20" barrel
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Don't have PRVI bullets in the database, so used the 286 RWS bullet, seated 2.44 cartridge length.

Quickload says......

Pressure 46K psi, velocity 2275 fps.

This is a rough, rough estimate only. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dutch thats what I was looking for.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Loadtech calls it right at 2300. However the pressure is way above 46K that Dutch gave.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well whatever the pressure is it is still within limits as I'm not seeing any problems and have gone all the way to 64 grains but accuracy goes bad in my rifle up that high.
I'm planning on using this rifle on elk this fall and hope to report on its performance.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well whatever the pressure is it is still within limits as I'm not seeing any problems

If you aren't seeing problems then to heck with what Loadtech says. The pressure as it calculated was above the 56550max but just below 60000. Based only on the burnrate 64 sounds a little warm. I can't force Loadtech to use that load and have no other data for that powder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can normally load 65 grains of Big Game with a 286 Nosler or North Fork for 2475-2500 fps in a 23.5 CZ. That said, your load is probably not over 2300 fps. Loadtech (whatever that is) is probably not very accurate. My load with 65 grains shows under 60000 psi on my pressure trace. The 46000 psi is probably close. Big Game is slower burning than the powder rate charts show, is actually close to H414- 4350 burn rate in my experience.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
jstevens
I had seen the load and target you posted of your 9.3 shooting 65 grains and was impressed, however with the PRVI bullets my sweet spot was down around 60 to 61 grains of Ramshot Big Game and when I got up to 64 my groups were way open. My rifle has an ultra light 20" barrel and generally is a very light rifle and recoil was becoming harsh at 64 grains as well as my accuracy falling off. For Elk this year I'll use 60.5 grains as the area I'm hunting won't present a shot past 250 or 300 yards I'm confident that it will do well.
Thanks everyone for the help.