New
Find
Notify
Tools

?Reduced loads for .300 Win. Mag.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The wife unit is now wanting to hunt with rifle. The Africa trip got into her head BAD.

She shoots 28ga. shotgun and is 'Hell on Wheels' with handguns. I am working her up with .22LR, then will go to .223 in a REM. PSS.

I have a nice Win. 70 Clasic,.300 Win. Mag, in Stainless that I plan on moving her up to.

I am looking for REDUCED loads to build her up to the full loads, using 150-165gr. bullets.

Any and all info will be welcome.

Thanks,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<M70>
posted
Sam

Go to the Hodgen website. They have reduced loads for the 300 Win Mag. I believe they use H4895 and light bullets.

Hope this helps.

Good Hunting,
Dale (M70) [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only limited experience with reduced loads in a 7mm Mag and a 300 Winnie. In both cases the big cases produced a very noticeable "pop-BANG" as the powder didn't ignite with the primer but instead came a few hundreths of a sec later after it was forced to the front of the case by the force of the primer. I know you can do it but you need to use a filler. WHy not simply buy her a decent medium bore cartidge like a 7-08 or 260?

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend was trying to do the same with his 12 year old son. Someone recomended to me to try 56.0 of I4320 under a 150 grainer. I did find this load to be OK in the lyman manual. Anyhow I loaded it for him and he said it shot real fine.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The big trick with doing this is to use magnum, not standard primers, and a medium powder. No slower than 4064.
Try the 125 gr. Sierra over 46 grs. of H4895 and a Fed 215 primer. Velocity would be about 2460 fps. Norman E. Johnson has reported, in an article for Handloader's Digest/1997, that this load produced .925 MOA accuracy and much reduced recoil.
I've used his advice in making up reduced loads for my .280. At about 2400 fps. with a 2/3's charges of IMR 3031, I get .5 MOA accuracy, very light recoil, and it even shoots near my full power hunting load. In fact, when working down from the minimum listed in the Sierra data, I found all of these reduced loads to be very accurate, under MOA. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
All very good advice so far.

Ken Waters did an article a few years ago in Handloader magazine on just this idea. He came up with some loads for the 300 Win/308 Norma/300 W'by that would produce 300 Savage ballistics, for example. I'll dig around and see if I can find the article.

I tried one of them with 150 grain Speer spitzers in 300 W'by for a guy (me) who got tired of replacing his false teeth every time he touched one off, and they work amazingly well. My brother's father-in-law used the same load for a few whitetails.

Steve lists some data for Accurate AA-5744
quote:
from 32.0 grains to 52.0 grains
at his pages http://stevespages.com/308_7_150.html (boy, are those invaluable - great job, Steve). I'm guessing the upper end of those are probably pretty close to full power loads, but the lower end should work great. He also shows some loads with 3031, 4895 and 4064; start at 60% of the max load listed for those 3, USE MAGNUM PRIMERS as E noted, and you can go from there to develop any loads, mild to wild.

You might also check out the "Heraean" (or something like that) recoil pad for women from PAST. Got one for the missus, and it makes a pretty big difference (psychologically, if nothing else) in recoil reduction.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Okay, found the Handloader magazine under the reloading bench, along with that cheeseburger I lost last month [Big Grin]

According to Ken, 54 I4895 and 150 Nosler gives 2,626 FPS; 53 I4064 and 165 Sierra Spitzer = 2,520; 51 I4320 and 180 Speer Spitzer does 2,442. All pretty much 300 Savage type stuff.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks to All.

I will get this info together and work on some loads for her to start on the Win. Mag with.

To those who wondered about this cal?.......I have the gun already and she will want to shoot some of the larger animals.

I will let you know how it works out for us.

Regards,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
For 150's:
SR-4759 From 24.0 grains to 28.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

For 165-168's:
SR-4759 From 25.0 grains to 29.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was surfing for Packs and Checked www.kifaru.net. Patrick Smith the president likes to have a small game load of 1500-1700 fps to bag grouse and rabbits while in the hills big game hunting. He uses IMR4227, Federal 215(M) Primers and no filler. He claims that the Federal Primer will ignite the 27grs of powder in 300 WM even with all the powder against the bullet (shooting straight down).

Might be worth checking out.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote