Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Ok this has got me stumped, a freind of mine wanted me to load him some frangable ammo for his 9mm, Having dies and all the nesasary components I told him ok. I then started looking for load info wich I found to be minimal but found it, Here is what I found odd the load info said to use powder charges for heaver jacketed bullets because the frangable bullets were lighter. The question that comes to mind is does a Jacketed bullet that weighs 90 gr not weigh the same as a 90 gr frangable?

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me you would be about the same, 90 gr is 90 gr. Load some and shoot through a chronograph to check velocity, functioning thru the firearm,and pressure.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
It's not the weight, but the length of the bullet that is different. A 90 grain frangible bullet will be much longer than a 90 grain FMJ bullet. Seating to the same OAL will give you a smaller case capacity and generate higher pressures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which weighs more, a ton of lead or a ton of feathers?

While weight is the most influential factor in how much powder can be used to reach some predetermined level of pressure, other factors also come into play: The diameter of the bullet; the hardness/friction coefficient of its surface; and the BULK of the bullet.

The third factor, bulk, perhaps comes into play when the density of bullet material is very different. A very dense bullet takes up less space and effectively makes the combustion chamber larger. A bullet of less dense material of the same mass (weight) takes up more space and effectively makes the combustion chamber smaller.

How much influence on powder charges this may have will vary with the type of cartridge, the speed of the powder, and a number of other factors; by all things being equal, a dense bullet of a given weight will us more powder to reach a given pressure and therefore will be driven a bit faster than a less dense bullet of the same weight in the same cartridge.

To use an extreme example, pretend you were using lead alloy bullets of 100 grains in one instance, and aluminum bullets, also weighing 100 grains. The aluminum bullets would be several times as long as the lead bullets and might have to be seated against the flash hole of the case in order to fit in the gun's chamber. You can see the obvious result of such a disparity in bullet density. The difference in lead, jacketed, or sintered metal bullets is not nearly so severe, but it does influence internal ballistics.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
Ok guys all I can say is duuuuh as I puled out a box of 115 gr Jacketed bullets to load for my self and saw that they are a lot shorter thus taking up less space and all that goes with loading regular bullet weights. Gues I just had a blond moment ha ha. But thats what I think The site is for to correct the blond moments and get us back on the correct path, Thanks for all the responses.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote