Find
Notify
Tools

BAD DAY AT BLSCK ROCK II
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll Eyes Mad Got to the range today and found out I forgot my ammo. Was going to test a number of powders in my 22PPC.
old If you're going to grow old you better have a good sense of humor Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Man I hate when that happens. Just as bad to show up with the wrong rifle. Roll Eyes coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Yep,no ammo,no magazine,no ear protection,wrong rifle,or worse yet,you remember all the things you need and the range is closed for some reason you were not aware of.
We have all been there at one time or another.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I really feel sorry for you all.

Years ago, the only problem I had with testing ammo was loading a batch, and then find that many of the loads are over the top for that rifle!

Back home and pull bullets!

Not much fun.

Now, we cannot have any better.

Loading room is next to the shooting room.

Air conditioned, no wind, cold and hot drinks as well as snacks, are available any time.

Walter's only complaint is that he has to go up the stairs to the toilet!! rotflmo

Just got an Austrian made rifle, by Robler.

It is a TITAN model, in 6mm Norma BR.

Shot some Norma and some Lapua ammo in it.

Lapua seems to shoot better.

I have data for the 6mm BR Remington, and I thought it will be interesting to see how this one compares with that - especially with the lighter bullets, as the throat of this rifle is much longer to handle the heavier bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Rössler?

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, what is written on the barrel is ROBLER.

With two dots on the o and the B looks funny.

quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
Not Rössler?

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two rifles that are identical except for caliber.

I was going on a little walk about had the wife drop me off 6 miles from the house so I could wander back home through the woods.

As she drove off I reached into my pouch for ammo and went to load the rifle.

You guessed it wrong rifle or wrong ammo depends on how you look at it.

I still had my loaded handgun along and it was still good exercise.

Now I double check to make sure.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Well, what is written on the barrel is ROBLER.

With two dots on the o and the B looks funny.

quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
Not Rössler?

Nordic has it correct in that, that is how it would be spelt in English. German (language) uses a letter like the Greek Beta to convey a double S. They give it a fancy German name ...

Also if the O has an umlaut, I suppose It should be spelt Roessler in English ....

But I digress.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Saeed is just attempting to make us jealous. Some here live in rural areas where they can shoot from the back porch. Most of us must drive to the range. In my case it's 15 miles. Of course I have never forgotten a thing, but I do use a checklist. Some guys go to the range with only a rifle and ammo, but I seem to require a truckload of stuff. You know, chrono, tripod, spotting scope, range box with cleaning stuff, extra batteries for the pacemaker, and tools, etc. etc. In addition to the range box (a Plano tool box with drawers) I keep the other stuff in totes so I at least don't have to remember or check each item. I didn't seem to have this problem 30 years ago.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda like the time i went out duck hunting - rowed accross the lake - set out the decoys - uncased the gun only to find i brought a m1 instead of the scattergun

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
m1 instead of the scattergun

So did you have a plug in it? rotflmo coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Went to the range on Saturday to continue with barrel break in on a 300 Win Mag. Walked out of the garage without the new package of cleaning patches that I specifically made a special trip to the store to purchase during the week. I got a grand total of 1 shot in with that rifle! Luckily, I also brought my 35 Whelen AI and finished up brass fireforming.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walked out of the garage without the new package of cleaning patches that I specifically made a special trip to the store to purchase during the week.

I do remember years ago ending up with a white T-shirt that had the bottom edge cut off of it for pretty much this same reason.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I once drove 20+ miles to a range with everything including a pop up sun shade, chronograph, portable reloading bench, etc. just no rifles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12691 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I once drove 20+ miles to a range with everything including a pop up sun shade, chronograph, portable reloading bench, etc. just no rifles.

We used to go to the army range, which was only a few minutes drive from town.

Then that got changed, and they built houses and commercial buildings on it.

Then we had to drive 35 Ks out of town to test our loads.

Then we got our own underground shooting room and 100 yards tunnel.

I am here right now, testing 6mm BR Norma in our new rifle.

And have just discovered something that had never happened to me before.

The chamber in this rifle is cut so big, the cases are being SIZED in a seating die!!!

I am using a REDDING button seating die, and it is actually sizing the case down!!??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I think Saeed is just attempting to make us jealous. Some here live in rural areas where they can shoot from the back porch.

I can shoot out the front door, back door and basement door.

I made it a point years ago to make sure I've live in such a place.

I have always said if one can't pee out the front door and shoot out the back door it isn't a place for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

I have always said if one can't pee out the front door and shoot out the back door it isn't a place for me.

I quite agree, and live in such a place. Now my "neighbors" (two miles away) have gotten the bright idea that they should incorporate the area as a "city" in order to "preserve its rural nature". Can you spell "oxymoron".

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Rifle range is 1hr 1/2 away. Forgot the rifle mags once, now I leave one in. Pistol range is 5 min from the house.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It must suck getting old; I have managed to avoid it. My plan is to live forever, and so far, it is working.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It must suck getting old; .

Frowner YEP! homer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My plan is to live forever, and so far, it is working

Yep those plans work great until they don't Wink coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
It must suck getting old; I have managed to avoid it. My plan is to live forever, and so far, it is working.

We should grateful we are getting old!
Beats the alternative

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only need to drive 40 miles to the range so forgetting the bolt for the rifle is only mildly upsetting.

bartsche, Any .22 PPC data you'd like to share?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1110 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

I quite agree, and live in such a place. Now my "neighbors" (two miles away) have gotten the bright idea that they should incorporate the area as a "city" in order to "preserve its rural nature". Can you spell "oxymoron".

Fight it with every thing you have fight hard

one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I can shoot out the front door, back door and basement door.

I made it a point years ago to make sure I've live in such a place.

p d shooter when did you move to Compton? Big Grin

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live on a road that is appropriately named "Gun Club Road"

and while I load all my range crap in the truck to drive to the range it would also work to pile it on the hood...

and once I'm there I have walked back to my house to get items I forgot... because frankly my house is closer to the firing line than the 100yd target stands... though in nearly the opposite direction...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend, I had a great time at the local range. Did not forget ammo, rifle, rests, mags, etc.

All was well until it was the -06's time to shine. I had not noticed the elevation turret cap had been dinged, I assume in a hard case, or who knows where/when. With a domed cap and a rather substantial ding the cap cannot be removed, it is pushed down into the adjustment ring.

I guess the next step is using a jeweler's saw to carefully remove it.

Otherwise a good day at Black Rock.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
At least you went to the right range. Didn't you????

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Heck, I've been forgetting stuff since I was a little sprout!

Fortunately, the only thing I've managed to forget shooting wise was the magazine to my gun on opening day, fortunately I had 2 shells in my pocket so it could have been worse.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Talk about getting old!

A friend drove here from his home which is over 100 miles away.

He had several rifles he wanted to load for and check.

He spent the afternoon here, and we developed some loads for his rifles that he was very happy with.

He went home, and the next day I found his set of 308 dies sitting here!!

He called. "I forgot my dies at your place"

"I know, I saw them here"
"Man, getting old is not so much fun, the brain does not work so well now"

He is coming back today to pick the dies up.