New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimmer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone fill me in on either thr Gracey or Jiraud case trimmer? What are your opinions?
thanks
rob

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a Gracey that i use for 308win
it's fast and does a good job but setting the cutter up for other cal. is BIG hassel
if you've got a 1000 or more cases of one cal to trim it's the hot set-up. if your gona do a few 100 of this and a few 100 of that a Forster or RCBS trimmer is much easier to use

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is similar to OutlawMK26's. I have one Gracey set up for .223 & one for .308. I use an aftermarket one piece carbide blade from B Jones sight company. It makes set up a lot easier. That said, I don't swap out case holders for short runs of brass.
Giraud sells a motor upgrade kit for the Gracey that increases the speed from 1500 rpm to 3000 rpm. Vvrroooom!
The Giraud has a more powerful motor than the stock Gracey unit, and its bearings are sealed. The Gracey is about $225.00 and the Giraud is about $330.00.
For short runs of case trimming I use a motorized RCBS unit.
If you are a high-power competition shooter or a high volume varmint hunter you need a Gracey or Giraud. If not you don't. I can't imagine not having them now. 350 - 500 cases trimmed per hour going at a leisurely pace.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote