THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Using a Lee Loader for another shooter's used brass

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a Lee Loader for another shooter's used brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I purchased 1X-fired 270 Weatherby mag. brass. If that empty brass chambers easily in MY rifle, may I use a Lee Loader to neck-size and then load the cases for my use?
Advice and comments appreciated.
Thanks
Alex
aax1@bellsouth.net

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know why not.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, provided the headspace on the other rifle is the same as yours. If the shoulder is forward of yours it will not chamber.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys......really appreciate your comments.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Yes,but I would use a light load and fire form to your chamber. Check the brass in front of the belt for stretching.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 446 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
From a loader of thousands of Lee Loaded ammo; Maybe. Have you actually determined that his brass will go into yours?
If his chamber is bigger than yours; definitely won't work as the LL neck sizes only. Headspace? They headspace on the belt,, but again, if his shoulder is farther forward than yours, then no, they will need FL sizing. Light load for fire forming? Why? If it fits, it will be no different than new brass.
You have a .5 probability of it working. IF it chambers easily in your rifle, then yes, just neck sizing will also work fine.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
Yes,but I would use a light load and fire form to your chamber. Check the brass in front of the belt for stretching.

Why?

Factory ammo is sized to a bare minimum in order to fit all. So why should brass fired in another gun that fits his chamber be reloaded light?

Pure and utter

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Lee Classic "hammer" Loader.- If the used brass from a different rifle chambers in your, it ok to load and fire. But this loader only neck sizes. Soon or later you will have to full length resize. Lee load data is on the light side so it will take a few loadings. If you up the powder change, FL sizing will be needed much sooner. For a hunting rifle like yours, its best to always full length resize.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote