Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new brass
 Login/Join

posted
i'm new to reloading and i have a few bags of new brass and a few used cleaned cases, i have a neck resizing die but do i need to use a full length die on the new brass before loading it for the first time? i read that fireforming the brass is the best for accuracy and brass life, what is the first step in dealing with new brass?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically the necks need to be trued by running the expander through them. Deburr and chamfer before loading.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
+1 on what Winchester 69 said.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's a hunting cartridge, I will full length size to insure functionality. Otherwise, you can just neck size to insure the necks are round.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
It's a waste of time to resize new brass. Chamfering the case mouths makes the bullets seat easier so that's a good idea.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
It's a waste of time to resize new brass. Chamfering the case mouths makes the bullets seat easier so that's a good idea.

Even if the necks are not symmetric or even dented?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also with the crowd that says don't bother fl sizing...just true em up with the sizing ball in and out of the case neck. It's always worked for me. The only brass I ever needed to fl size was some crappy privi brass from europe that needed the shoulder pushed back to chamber properly. Never had a problem with 1000's of new hornady, rem, norma, win brass. AND runnout was usually very very good just doing that.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're going to bet your life on the factory make EVERY case perfect?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
quote:

You're going to bet your life on the factory made EVERY case perfect?

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW----you should resize the used brass with a fl sizer if at all posible.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Starmetal...just curious what failure you see happening with new brass that is going to be lifesaving via fl sizing??

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
When I run new brass in the FL sizer die, it never tapers the walls anyway, just makes the necks all the same size and concentric. So, I guess I'm not really fl REsizing. New brass has never needed body tapering for me.

Still, I don't like seating a bullet into a dinged case neck as it scratches the copper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my 30 cal guns and have a 30 cal lyman m die just for this purpose....no lube needed..just plunge into the case neck and it's perfectly rounds and very consistant tension. They use to be about $11/ die....a good investment as I shoot 308, 7.5 swis, 06, 300win, 300wby and a few others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should neck size new brass, as it frequently has dinged or non-concentric or otherwise imperfect necks. You can use a full-length resizing die to do this by backing the die off a few turns so that the case does not go into it fully.

I also chamfer and ream the neck, outside and in, and I usually deburr the inside of the flash hole (i.e. I use a deburring tool that goes through the neck inside the brass).

If you get bags or boxes of new Remington brass -- a good idea, as this brass is usually of very good quality and buying it in bulk saves you a substantial amount of money -- you will usually find a note in the brass in which Remington advises you to neck size it before loading.

I would recommend full length resizing the used cases before loading. I also trim all my used cases after resizing and before loading them -- I use the Lee Case Length Gauge and Trimmer to do this.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
A number of questions were asked.

1. I inspect new brass as I'm loading it. There is some brass with very eccentric flash holes; even at the edge of the primer pocket and those get discarded. If a case mouth is not round (very few in my experience) I'll round it out with some metal object. I can't remember ever getting a factory new case that was so dented or out of round that I had to run it into a die but I suppose it happens at times.

2. For those that are hesitant to bet their life on new factory brass, all I would say is that to be consistent they should also check factory loaded ammo to be sure it's loaded properly. I think it's highly doubtful that the new brass you buy is any different than the brass used by the factory to load ammo.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Starmetal...just curious what failure you see happening with new brass that is going to be lifesaving via fl sizing??

Just an expression that new virgin brass does and can have many things wrong with it. Now to name one you requested: I've gotten new brass that didn't have a flash hole in them! Could that be life threatening? Besides dented mouths had flash holes off center, neck not sized at all, case mouth ragged edges...you name it. They should be thoroughly inspected and resized.

Joe

posted Hide Post
thanks guys, thought fireformed brass, already fired and formed to the chamber just needed to have the neck resized for the next bullet, besides cleaning and inspecting the case. now on new brass, after an expanding ball and resizing the neck, checking the case length and truing the flash hole, chamfering and deburring, what else needs to be done?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Himy, Your correct that fire formed brass only needs neck sizing, as long as it's going to be fired in the same chamber that it was formed in. If not then you have to fl size it.

If the flash hole is way off center you cannot true it, throw it away.

Other then primming, charging and seating the bullet, I think you have everything covered.

Bob

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by himy:
now on new brass, after an expanding ball and resizing the neck, checking the case length and truing the flash hole, chamfering and deburring, what else needs to be done?
load it

posted Hide Post
you guys are great, thanks.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
One of the basic reasons for reloading is to improve or to get the best possible accuracy in your gun. Accuracy is largely dependant on uniformity.

In the last few years, I have purchased 150-200 each new Remington cases in .375 RUM and .300 Wby. Out of those 3-400 new cases, almost every one had a slightly dented or out of round mouth.

The quickest and most uniform way to remove those dents is to at least neck size the cases. This will also make all the necks more uniform is diameter and bullet holding ability in relation to your reloading dies.

After (neck) sizing the new cases, I then trim them, then chamfer and de-bur the case mouths. And no, not all new cases are the same length, nor do all of them have mouths that are square to the long axis of the case.

I then de-bur the inside of the primer flash holes. At this point I feel that my cases are as uniform as I can get them (without sorting them by weight), and they are ready to reload.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote