New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expanding 38 special and 357 Mag cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When using the expander die on 38 special and 357 Magnum cases, how much do I need to expand the shell for accepting the bullet?
If I just expand the shell a little just to be able to start the bullet…lets say less than 1/16 and more like 1/32. The seater die seats the bullet the rest of the way expanding the case with the base of the bullet into the case nice and tight.

First is this an acceptable practice?
Second does this allow me to use less of a crimp?

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
First is this an acceptable practice?
Second does this allow me to use less of a crimp?

Vinny

You're doing it right. No more bell than is necessary to start the bullet and keep from shaving lead when seating. The major problem with too much bell is that it works the brass and you'll get neck splits sooner rather than later.

The crimp should be no less nor no more than usual. Loads for revolvers or lever rifles should have a good heavy crimp. Not to keep the bullet from being shoved in but to keep it from creeping out under recoil and tying up the action. For single shots only a moderate crimp is necessary to ensure good consistent ignition. With fast powders like Bullseye you don't really need a crimp to help ignition but you should do it anyway.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't get enough bell, you will work yourself to death and pinch yourself trying to seat unstable bullets. You want enough to keep the bullet in place without undue effort. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote