Find
Notify
Tools

270 grn Barnes with 77grns of RL15?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted
I am going to load up some Barnes 270grn tsx this weekend for my 375 h&h. The Barnes web site lists the max load for RL 15 at 77grns with this bullet...getting 2820fps Big Grin this looks like a deadly load! of course I will work my way up....but has anyone tried this recipe? was the velocity as advertised? any pressure signs?
http://www.barnesbullets.com/w...1/375HHMagnumWeb.pdf

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Haven't used it. Seems WARM to me. What I always found strange in my Barnes manual their max loads for the 375H&H were often higher than the 375Wby.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loading RL15 with 270gr TSX's in my 375H&H but I am not at my loading bench to check the powder charge. I do remember that I chronoed them at 2725fps.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
75 gr. RL15 270 gr. TSX, Norma Brass F215M Primer, 2800 FPS, used it in the Selous a couple years ago.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded that much with the 270 TSX in my CZ550 .375 H&H without pressure signs. But I got the best accuracy at 73 grains. So I chucked that 100 fps.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, same rifle and load as LWD, and its scary accurate. Only 2600 fps though. I went hot and loaded a bunch of 77, 78, 79, and 80 grains but accuracy was terrible.

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
I've loaded that much with the 270 TSX in my CZ550 .375 H&H without pressure signs. But I got the best accuracy at 73 grains. So I chucked that 100 fps.

LWD

Good info. I will give that a try. Just curious, do you recall what COAL you used? Crimped?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good info. I will give that a try. Just curious, do you recall what COAL you used? Crimped?

I'm at my office right now so I can't tell you the COAL, but it was .05" less than SAAMI max. I did this to allow for the Barnes maybe liking a little jump. Three shot groups are running just a bit over an inch. I've got some loaded to SAAMI max COAL that I'm going to try when I get some time to see if they are better.

At the higher loads the groups starting opening up but not awful. I think the 77 grain loads were 1.75" or so. Usable, but not really acceptable to a handloader.

I did not crimp them.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Barnes 270gr TSX, 74gr RE15 was the most accurate for me. Start low and work your way up...

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3.580 in my CZ 550

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will whip up a batch and give'm a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
77 grains of RL 15 was the most accurate load I ever found for my rifle. It would routinely shoot sub half inch inch groups, but sometimes would cause a stiff bolt lift. I eventually backed off to 75 grains, where groups opened up to around three quarters of an inch, but I never had any more signs of excessive pressure.

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DGR Shooter:
77 grains of RL 15 was the most accurate load I ever found for my rifle. It would routinely shoot sub half inch inch groups, but sometimes would cause a stiff bolt lift. I eventually backed off to 75 grains, where groups opened up to around three quarters of an inch, but I never had any more signs of excessive pressure.

Which model of rifle are you shooting these out of? that is some excellent performance....

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I load 76 Grs. of RL-15 behind the 270 TSX in my Rem 700 .375 H&H with a 24 inch barrel. Chronographed velocity was 2744 FPS. Haven't shot anything with it yet, but accuracy is good. I got this load from JJHack who is the moderator of the African forum at www.24hourcampfire.com. Jim is a PH and uses this load extensively in Africa and has had great results.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DGR Shooter:

Which model of rifle are you shooting these out of? that is some excellent performance....

The rifle was a custom Winchester M70 with a Lilja barrel and H-S Precision stock. The bullets were seated to the book recommended C.O.A.L. OF 3.570. Never got the chance to shoot either load over a cronograph to see what the loads clocked out of the rifle, but performance was always spectacular! Wink

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bullets were seated to the book recommended C.O.A.L. OF 3.570

I'm just curious. What difference does it make if you exceed the SAMMI maximum COAL? If your cartridge will fit your chamber, fit your magazine, you have enough neck to hold the bullet and the bullet isn't into the lands I can't see where it would cause any problems exceeding maximum SAAMM COAL. I reload for 6 hunting rifles and I have no idea what the maximum SAMMI COAL is for any of them.

Thanks,
Victor

Posts: 123 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just curious. What difference does it make if you exceed the SAMMI maximum COAL? If your cartridge will fit your chamber, fit your magazine, you have enough neck to hold the bullet and the bullet isn't into the lands I can't see where it would cause any problems exceeding maximum SAAMM COAL. I reload for 6 hunting rifles and I have no idea what the maximum SAMMI COAL is for any of them.

Thanks,
Victor

It doesn't make any difference as long as all of the criteria you just mentioned are met. The max SAMMI C.O.A.L. for the .375 H&H is 3.600". I mentioned the C.O.A.L. for my load because after a lot of experimenting with different seating depths, 3.570" is where I got the best accuracy in my rifle. That will not be the case in every rifle.

An excellent example of what you're talking about is a Ruger RSM in .458 Lott that I own. The SAMMI max C.O.A.L. for the Lott is 3.600", just like the .375. However, thanks to a very generous magazine designed for a .416 Rigby, and a very long throat or lead, I can load bullets seated all the way out 3.725" and still have them function through the magazine (still room left) and chamber.

I am still in the load development stages for this rifle, but am currently getting very good results at a C.O.A.L. of 3.650", which simply would not work in most rifles because of shorter magazine boxes and/or tighter chambers.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

My TSX load is quite a bit lighter than what you guys are using but it's where accuracy was best for me with that particular gun.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Just a follow up to this thread.....

I spent some time at the range over the holidays and found that everything from 74 grn to 77grn worked well in my Brno. The 77grn load had no pressure signs and my 5 round test group came in at 1.1" at 100 yrds, with 4 of the holes touching.

I will do some more testing on this load, but I am reasonably sure that this will be my load for Zim in June.

Thanks for the help!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My accuracy load is 74gr of RL15 with the 270gr TSX and chronoed at 2725fps. RL15 will vary from lot to lot so I would plan to have my loads worked up with a particular lot and make sure my hunting loads were loaded with that same lot. In my 470NE, I had one lot of RL15 that took 90gr to get to the same velocity that my initial lot only needed 87gr. I also chronoed loads in 40 degree weather up to the low 90's and the velocity change from low to high temp was 140 fps. (2060 to 2200)

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote