Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Steve Ricciardelli
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Steve:
have purused your reloading website and am very impressed....a lot of data and a lot of work on your part.

I do have a question, and this is a serious question...no intent to start an argument.

You obviously like Sierra HPBT's.

Can you share your experience with them, particularly regarding their terminal ballistics.

Let me explain my reason for asking. I like Sierra bullets for accuracy and use them a lot for deer. But they do have a reputation for being somewhat "fragile", and perhaps having a rather narrow performance window compared to the premium bullets available.

Sierra says that their HPBT Gamekings are tougher than their regular Gamekings. This means that they have a thicker jacket and a harder core.

Therefore they should have less tendency to fragment at high velocity (close range. But since their BC is typically poorer, assuming they have a similar performance window, the problem might be that they do not expand enough when the velocity falls off (extended range)

I'd would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Without re-opening the entire MK thing, let me just say that I have never had one of Sierra's HPBT bullets fail to drop any animal (from prairie dog to elk), at any range (from 35 feet to 725 yards), with any caliber I regularly use (.22-250 Rem., .243 Win, 6mm Rem., .25-06 Rem., .264 Win. Mag., 7mm Mag., and 30-06) with a single shot.

I have used other bullets, Nosler (solid base and partitions) and some Speer and Hornady. But for my hunting, I still prefer the Sierra HPBT bullets.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ok, thanks. did not intend to open the "MK thing" as most of the Sierra HPBTs of interest are GK's not MK's....

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I had an interesting talk with one of Sierras ballisticians reguarding the 120 grn 25 cal HP Gameking. I told them that I shoot a 257 AI and he suggested that I use a "Lighter" bullet and that the bullet was designed for the 257 Weatherby mag and might not open up at 257 AI velocities.. Must be a tough bullet.. [Eek!]

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wstrnhuntr: yep, exactly the same kind of thing that I have heard. The 120gr HPBT's shoot very well in my 257 AI also, And I am considering using them for deer. Which is why I was hoping to get some specific feedback from someone who had used them. Thanks for the response, Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been quite pleased with the Sierra 225gr Gameking in my 350 Rem Mag. I put them out at 2625 MV. They have never failed me on Moose at 100yds to Sitka Blacktail deer at 400yds. I originally tried them for their reputation for accuracy and keep using them for their performance. I am trying the Nosler Ballistic tip this year for Moose because I was given some and am curious. If I get one I will report back, only 10 days left in the season and I haven't seen a bull yet.
350mag

Posts: 39 | Location: Pilot Station AK | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote